Declining a reservation request from a guest who has done damage

Ken3543
Level 1
Stonington, CT

Declining a reservation request from a guest who has done damage

We are BRAND NEW and have a request from someone with a single AirBnB review that indicated they did $1300 in damage the last time they used AirBnB. We aren't inclined to accept it as a result, but wondering how it might hurt us in search rankings, etc. despite the profile of the guest making the request. How do we keep potentially damaging guests away without hurting our profile, especially early on?

6 Replies 6

@Ken3543.Welcome Ken!

If it was me (and I value protecting the property ahead of great rankings) as a newbie I'd respond straight away with LOTS of questions about their previous problematic stay, purpose of their visit etc. Also ask if they have read the House Rules and would agree to abide by them all.

This will keep your response rate up (for SH purposes) and make it appear you want to help.

It will block your dates for the 24 hours as its a Request to Book (not an Enquiry) but then the dates become available again.

Search ranking metrics change by the minute so impossible to control. Lower prices seem to be a large influence (as well as IB, GF/SH, recent bookings, previous review ratings, available dates etc ) but be careful about who that attracts.

Having said this, some hosts will just take the money and ignore the risk. Good luck.

Hi @Ken3543 

I agree with @Frances3408 . I would contact the guest and advise them of the previous Host's mention of the damage (and I'm assuming) bad review. I would ask the guest if they would respond and shed some light on the situation as @Frances3408 said. 

If you don't get a response from the guest (or not a satisfactory response), I would contact Airbnb using the CS messaging and advise you don't feel comfortable Hosting this guest due to previous bad review and want to decline Trip Request based on that. They may be able to decline for you (you only have 24hrs though). If the guest ignores your message, or you don't feel comfortable, I would decline the trip request. Not sure what the metric is, but you have to decline quite a few trip requests before Airbnb dings you in search results. I would still get Airbnb to do it and say it will not affect the number of Trip Requests you have declined. 

Deb216
Level 10
Newport, RI

@Ken3543

1000027181.jpg

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Ken3543 ! Thank you for sharing your concerns with other Hosts. As a new host, it is natural to have hesitations about potential bookings and inquiries. 

Did you get a chance to look at the recommendations from our lovely Hosts @Deb216 @Joan2709 and @Frances3408 . Did you eventually go ahead with the booking or enable good track record for Instant Booking?

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Ken3543  Bad guests frequently target new hosts.  As a new host you are anxious to book guests, you want good reviews and you want little or no damage.  DO NOT become a doormat and accept every guest that comes your way.  If you get a bad vibe or read a review that concerns you, thank the guest but refuse to accommodate them.  It took the family reunion from H*** for me to learn this.

Until you are comfortable with the AirBnB process, turn off instant book and vet your guests carefully.  Respond to requests, but neither accept or decline.  Answering their request with your own request for more information is acceptable.  If the guest is a bad bet, they will probably move on if you ask for more information about the purpose of their visit or reference a poor review.

Yeah, we never turned Instant Book on, we've been verifying everyone to start.  Thanks for the guidance! Appreciate it!