Do I laugh or cry? Just have to tell some one:

Marg11
Level 10
Warwick, Australia

Do I laugh or cry? Just have to tell some one:

When accepting a booking, a guest was advised that we were having a changeover of solar panels and battery the day after they checked in. She said they would probably sleep through it. I thought it was obvious that the power would be off for quite a while. When showing them through the flat he said they would be eating out. The shower is gas. The next day, when we knew when the power was to be turned off I advised our guest's friend. Shortly after they went out. 

Airbnb advised me that the guest would receive a one off payment of $30 for their inconvenience for the noise and lack of power!

Do I laugh or cry. Will Airbnb bill us for the $30?

2 Replies 2
Deb216
Level 10
Newport, RI

@Marg11

I would laugh it off and consider myself lucky that the guest did not complain to Airbnb, resulting in having to refund in full and then having your listing blocked until they investigate which could take weeks or more.  I know it sounds unfair.

Personally, I block my calendar whenever any type of maintenance (other than lawn care or garbage pickup) might conflict with the guests' occupancy. 

To answer your question:  I believe Airbnb will deduct the $30 from your next incoming payment.

Keep smiling!

p.s.  I'm curious, how did Airbnb know anything about the brief inconvenience, did you contact Airbnb yourself?  Your guests have left very flattering reviews.  Congratulations on being a wonderful Host.

Marg11
Level 10
Warwick, Australia

Yes, Deb we both had a good laugh. The guests complained to Airbnb.

We received the date late and initially it was free but they booked before I could block it.

It is Airbnb policy to be environmentally responsible so we were changing our solar panels to new more efficient ones and a larger battery to run a/c etc over night.

The fact that there are several building sites nearby, it was rubbish collection and lawn mowing day didn't seem to worry them and they said they had had a good stay when they left.