Dodgy guest?

Answered!
Melanie1452
Level 1
Tatenhill, United Kingdom

Dodgy guest?

I've had a request for tomorrow night for a woman and her father, for one night only, but I have a double bed. 

The woman doesn't have a profile or a y reviews. Would anyone say this is a little bit odd and to reject the request? I have queried it with her. 

Top Answer
Jennifer1897
Level 10
Irvine, CA

I have had families share a bed many times in my room rentals. Recently I had an uncle and his niece. Personally, I would want my own bed as an adult and see where you're coming from finding it a little odd, but it's definitely happens more than you think.

I would be more concerned about the lack of profile and reviews; however, every guest has a first stay, and many turn out to be those wonderful well reviewed people we all love to see book. You can always ask more questions to the guest prior to booking. Things such as "what brings you to the area" etc. This gives you a better opportunity to detect any red flags.

At the end of the day though you have the right to decline if you feel uncomfortable. 

View Top Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Jennifer1897
Level 10
Irvine, CA

I have had families share a bed many times in my room rentals. Recently I had an uncle and his niece. Personally, I would want my own bed as an adult and see where you're coming from finding it a little odd, but it's definitely happens more than you think.

I would be more concerned about the lack of profile and reviews; however, every guest has a first stay, and many turn out to be those wonderful well reviewed people we all love to see book. You can always ask more questions to the guest prior to booking. Things such as "what brings you to the area" etc. This gives you a better opportunity to detect any red flags.

At the end of the day though you have the right to decline if you feel uncomfortable. 

Thanks Jennifer, that's helpful. Her name is Praveen which would indicate an Asian culture so potentially acceptable with them. Her profile does say she's verified despite no reviews. Is that any reassurance? 

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

I think you are correct to query this with the guest .

I also ask guests why they chose my listing and plans for their stay 

@Melanie1452 

This helps me understand if they are a good fit for my listing 

Melanie1452
Level 1

Thanks Helen.  From Jennifer's encouragement, I asked her to tell me more about herself - at the end of the day, my listing is in my home and therefore, I think I have a right to know a bit more about whom I am letting in.  She has been very open and I feel more relaxed about it.

Joelle43
Top Contributor
Cannes, France

Hello @Melanie1452 

Yep I can quite understand this would raise an eyebrow and it's especially important that these guests are a good fit as you are offering up a room in your home!!  So keep talking to them until you feel comfortable with the idea of having them staying with you.

I went onto your listing and noticed that in the liste of amenities it says that you do NOT offer hot water.  This is obviously an oversight and once we have our place listed, new sub headings become available that we can fill in (no 500 word restriction) to better describe our place.

Make sure your house rules/info are sent to these guests if you decide to go ahead so that everyone is on the same page and they can't come back and say they didn't know there were quite hours or whatever because it wasn't written.

If this is a request to book rather than an enquiry, if you want to refuse you have to give a reason why to Airbnb (use am not comfortable with hosting this guest)  and to your guest (something along the lines that you feel that your place may not be a good fit for them and that they might be more suited to somewhere that offers two single beds/two rooms for example)  You want to avoid a bad review because they didn't read your description fully

Good luck and let us know how it went🤞
Joëlle

Melanie1452
Level 1

Thanks Joelle.  I have entered into a conversation with her and feel far more comfortable about it now.  

One query: you say that I do NOT offer hot water in my amenities.  I'm not sure what you mean by that.  I've looked at my amenity list and it says nothing about hot water.  I certainly can't find it saying that I don't provide it - I really hope it doesn't say that!! 

I do say there is an en suite bathroom, and kitchen access, so access to hot water should be assumed, as well as the fact that there are tea and coffee making facilities, so again, boiling water provided.  

Help please!  As you say, I don't want any misunderstandings.  

It's really interesting to see the whole process from a host's point of view.  As a guest, the 'Tell the host why you want to come and stay', I used to take as, 'It's not really their business' but actually, as a host, just a message is really helpful.  I had one guest who just said, 'Hello' and didn't hear anything from him until he showed up!!

Melanie

Hi @Melanie1452 

Here is what guests see under amenities:

Capture d’écran 2024-10-15 à 19.26.46.pngJust go back into amenities and double check all the amenities again as I'm sure there are more you can add - already Hot water and Heating can be added for sure🤣

Glad to hear that things might work out and yes communication is key!
Bye for now

Joëlle