Does Airbnb not allow bookings by a guests that a host doesn’t want to host again

Rhonda45
Level 7
Eminence, MO

Does Airbnb not allow bookings by a guests that a host doesn’t want to host again

I’ve only had a few guests I do not want to host again.  I do have instant booking on.  WhenI review them hosts are asked if you would host them again.  If I put no, does Airbnb not allow them to book?  Thanks in advance! 

9 Replies 9
Shelley159
Top Contributor
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Hi @Rhonda45 

Yes, that's how I understand it: if you put no, they won't be able to book again. However, I've played around with it a little bit and it seems that if you give them a fantastic rating and then tick you won't host them again, the system tells you something doesn't make sense. That's a really good feature - it prevents you from recommending them to other hosts if you're not willing to host them again yourself.

Thank you, Shelley!  I’ve had perhaps a total of 3 guests I do not want to host again in the 7 or so years I’ve been hosting.   I don’t give them a great rating and say very little about them.  Usually it’s because they brought more guests than they booked for.  I don’t want to get into nastiness because they know where I live and I do not want them coming back.  

It's a shame that you have to worry about people who know where you live .

Follwup on not wanting to host a guest again.  I gave them a poor rating, cited my concerns and they rebooked immediately for the next year!!!  I thought they couldn’t book a year in advance.  However, we are closing this particular Airbnb in December and plan to sell it. 

Also, marked that I did not want to host them again and yet they were able to book for the next year.

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Rhonda45, thank you for sharing this question in our community.

Our wonderful Host Shelley has shared her opinion. Have you had a chance to read it? I am also reaching out to some of our experienced Hosts to see if they would like to share their thoughts:

@Joan2709@Joelle43 @Jonathan2534 @Lorina14 and @Karen1100.

Regards,

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Shelley was great and I glad to know Airbnb has a system where they can’t book again.  The few that I have no desire to host again rarely leave a review.  Most I don’t want back again have brought more guests than they booked for.  Just a few days ago, they booked for 4 but moved dining room chairs to seat 7 and left it that way so my suspicions were confirmed   They also parked  an extra on the grass behind the rental and used 3 double beds and the one single.  But they used enough pillows to see they had slept 2 to a bed and the one single made 7 people.  

I always wondered about this. I do not do instant booking. I also keep a blacklist, which in years of hosting is very small, of what I consider someone I would not want to host again. I do this to keep control  of my bookings and not let Airbnb decide for me.

Hi Rhonda,

When you choose "No" to the question of whether you would host a guest again in your Airbnb review, it doesn't automatically block them from booking your property in the future. However, it does prevent them from using Instant Book for your listings. They can still send a booking request through the regular booking process, which you can then accept or decline based on your discretion.

You can use Airbnb's blocking feature to block them from booking with you directly. Here's a reference on how you can block the guest:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2020

I hope this helps.

All the best,

Upfish Management