Does it affect my status as a host if I do not review a guest?

Answered!
Brad924
Level 2
Austin, TX

Does it affect my status as a host if I do not review a guest?

I had a recent guest who was not communicative but upon checking out I got a note from our cleaning crew "looks like they partied quite a bit."  I want to be clear that no damage was reported.  It just took the cleaning crew significantly more time to clean the property for the next guests.  The place wasn't trashed but the report that I got back was that they made little attempt to clean up beer cans, food containers, and general pickup.   I was missing a coffee carafe but couldn't tie this to this particular guest or the one before so I want to give them the benefit of the doubt.  

The grill was a huge mess and I actually cleaned it myself.  Again, not illegal just messy.  

So, what is the general consensus on a 4-star review versus a 5-star?  

Since I wasn't sure I thought of not reviewing them but don't know if that counts against me.  If I DO review him as a 4-star can they see if I click the button that I would NOT recommend this guest to other hosts?  

I am a new host but would want other hosts to know what they are getting.  

1 Best Answer
Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

@Brad924 The review system is blind - so your guests cannot read your review until 1) after they have written one themselves and both reviews will get published or 2) when the review period is over and they are no longer able to write a review of the stay. 
If the review system wasn’t blind it would be impossible to write honest reviews. So please write an honest review of how the guest treated your place - as it will be very helpful for potential new hosts the guest would like to book with. 

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Please leave honest reviews for your guests. Personally I think your guest behaved outrageously and if the property needed so much extra cleaning I would have taken photo's/video's and charged the guest for the extra cleaning costs

(presume you tell guests to clean the BBQ after use.

I would leave three star for cleanliness for that level of mess @Brad924 

The whole point of guest reviews is to warn your fellow hosts about negative guest behaviour.

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Brad924  You should leave an honest review. You can say something very generic as to the stay, but rate the stars appropriately. Sounds like communication and cleanliness left a lot to be desired. 

It doesn't work against you if you don't review, and guests cannot see the star ratings you leave them. 

You might mention something like, "more than the usual cleaning was required after X checked out. You can try to start the review with something positive (if there was anything positive), but definitely rate the stars appropriately. If you do hit the "not recommended/would not host again" button, that is somewhat effective. It can prevent a guest like that from Instant Booking in certain circumstances. The art of review writing is to let other hosts know that the guest was a problem, but in a very nuanced way. Good luck. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Brad924  I caution you to look at hosting with a broad perspective: guests range from absolute slobs to some being clean freaks.  Hosting is a game of averages and you being relatively new can't afford unnecessary hassles with a guest. From what you said perhaps 4-stars may suffice to convey enough message, specially if the guest was pleasant otherwise. When new tolerance is a virtue.

Hint: the more you ask of guests, the more they tend to 'fail', conversely the less you ask of them the happier you and them will be. Specially when it comes to cleaning, which will vary widely from guest to guest.

One other observation: you have a fine 4-bedroom place (though 7 beds) and allow 12 persons, that may tun out in time to be a high-risk combination. Perhaps saying 8 (natural number with 4-bedrooms) and say more depending on group combination; gives you opportunity to ask questions from guests not traveling with a 12-person entourage from the outset. A thought.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Brad924 Just be aware that a guest doesn't see the ratings given to them. The text you write is essential for other hosts to make a judgement as to whether the guest is acceptable to them.

Also guest ratings are averaged to 1 decimal place and all the ratings go into their average so it is very easy to recover from a single 4.

Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

@Brad924 The review system is blind - so your guests cannot read your review until 1) after they have written one themselves and both reviews will get published or 2) when the review period is over and they are no longer able to write a review of the stay. 
If the review system wasn’t blind it would be impossible to write honest reviews. So please write an honest review of how the guest treated your place - as it will be very helpful for potential new hosts the guest would like to book with. 

Dennis991
Level 2
Houston, TX

According to the disclaimer following that question "Do you recommend these guests to other Hosts?" It reads "Your answer helps us learn more about what makes a great guest. It won't be shared with your guests or published on their profiles."  So according to Airbnb the guest will not see that you rated them a "No" on this question.  I had the exact same question so I went to Airbnb support and asked in the chat.  The rep said "yes" when I asked if the guest would this my response to this question.  He also said it would be posted on the guest's reviews.  Clearly the rep does not know nor understand how the reviews function.  What is ironic to me is how this question appears to be intended for Airbnb to identify bad guests but yet in the disclaimer to the question they say the exact opposite with "Your answer helps us learn more about what makes a great guest."