Duvets or blankets?

Elizabeth2493
Level 2
Kew Town Settlement, Turks and Caicos Islands

Duvets or blankets?

I have two apartments in the West Indies, right on the beach.  The bedrooms have window ac units and I am thinking of putting a mini-split in the main living area for the summer months, but generally we are blessed with a strong breeze throughout the year.  I have duvets on the beds because I was advised that that is what everyone wants.  But putting a king-sized duvet inside the cover on your own is a struggle and my helpers come from places that do not use duvets so this is alien bed technology to them.  Duvets are not necessary given the climate even when the ac is running - what if I used blankets instead?  Has anyone hosting in the tropics tried this?  Would love to get feed back.  Thanks, Liz

3 Replies 3
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Elizabeth2493  I do have a duvet in case guests want it, as it can get chilly here at night, but mostly I use blankets. In the warmer months here, it's even too hot for more than a sheet.

Not sure who advised you that duvets are "what everyone wants" but that is ridiculous. Use whatever works for you. 

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Elizabeth2493  You can do as @Sarah977 suggests and use whatever bedding you want, but make sure that all of it is washable.  My apologies to Sarah, but I am one of those persons who freaks out when I get a blanket without a duvet cover, as I have no idea when the blanket was last washed.  

@Lorna170  How do you know the duvet cover was washed? 🙂

Clean blankets look and smell clean, in my experience. I've never had a guest complain about the blanket ( and I do wash it between guests), in fact I get lots of compliments on how comfortable the bed is.