Emotional support after guest vandalized room in my home

Rena3386
Level 2
Georgetown, CA

Emotional support after guest vandalized room in my home

Hi - I’ve been a host for 3 years with a room and bath in my home, and have had only one booking until now that was a bit troublesome. But, my last guests (4.5 stars on Airbnb), got drunk, got in a fight, kicked in the Airbnb bedroom door and broke multiple items, blood on the sheets, etc. My room is at the other side of the house so thankfully I didn’t hear it and intervene. I woke up in shock to a huge mess with a door and casing in shambles, missing and broken items, and their items left all over, inside and the yard, including a cell phone. They paid my  estimate for the damages immediately and apologized, and picked up their belongings. I’ve had no promised emails from Airbnb, only the payout for the damages - which of course I’m grateful for. But I’m having a hard time feeling safe now. I don’t want this to taint my feelings toward Airbnb- it’s my income and I love most of the people I meet. I’m afraid to leave an honest review in case of retaliation. I want Airbnb to ban them but have heard nothing. 
Any pointers on my feelings of insecurity now, and how to avoid people like these in the future?  TIA

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Rena3386 I suspect anyone with this experience would consider giving up hosting BUT.... You said yourself you love most of the people you meet so don't let this one bad experience force you to stop meeting the good guys. Also, it seems to me, the guest is suitably apologetic if they have paid for the damage so they are not all bad either.

I'll let others comment on how to vet guests - We didn't host in-home so its a very different experience but I will say a fair review is needed. Perhaps as simple as 1 star and a comment such as 'XXX did significant damage to my home but at least had the decency to pay my estimated costs to repair'

Thank you for your supportive words. I will use that review approach. 

Hi Rena,

I'm sorry to hear about your troubling experience. It's understandable to feel shaken after such an incident. Here are some steps to help you move forward and enhance security:

1. Leave an Honest Review: It’s important to leave an honest review about the guests to inform future hosts. Airbnb’s review system is double-blind, meaning your review won’t be visible to the guests until they have left theirs, or until the review period ends. But I recommend to leave the review 12 days after the guest check out. Here's a sample review for reference:

"Unfortunately, I must report a serious incident during this guest's stay. Despite their prompt payment for damages, the behavior exhibited was alarming and included excessive drinking, a physical altercation, and significant damage to property, including a broken door and various household items. While I appreciate the guests' immediate response to the financial aspect, the overall experience has compelled me to advise caution to future hosts."

2. Report to Airbnb: Ensure that you’ve reported the incident in detail to Airbnb. They can take further action, like banning the guests if their behavior warrants it.

3. Enhanced Screening: Consider setting stricter booking requirements, such as requiring government ID verification, or only accepting guests with multiple positive reviews.

4. Security Enhancements: You might want to invest in security measures such as better locks, security cameras (in common areas as per legal guidelines), or an alarm system.

5. Blocking Guests: To prevent specific guests from booking your listings again, you can block them on Airbnb. This option is available in the messaging thread with the guest by selecting the "block" feature.

Remember, incidents like this are rare, and most Airbnb experiences are positive. It’s good to take proactive steps to secure your property and peace of mind.

I hope this helps.

All the best,

Upfish Management

I appreciate your response. However, outside of leaving a review, I have ALL of those safety measures in place. My InstaBook settings are for people with no negative reviews. Airbnb still let them InstaBook even with negative reviews. I thought a 4.5 rating was fine, but I have since read the reviews and two were negative. My cameras showed them fighting outside with the booker trying to choke her boyfriend. My porch camera picked up their yelling voices and the kicking in of the bedroom door. I have a large dog who sleeps in my room and internal security measures in place. I will use your advice with a review, but Airbnb needs to be more discerning. They have proof of all the damages and need to block them.