Expectations for a 9-night booking

Answered!

Expectations for a 9-night booking

Hi, we are new to hosting and have accepted a 9 night booking. Just wondering what the usual expectations around the cleaning and washing (bedding and towels) for a 9 night booking. Would we be expected to go in and clean and change the sheets and towels during the stay?  We do have a washing machine and dryer, so would we expect the guests to clean and do their own washing.  Thanks, Peter.

1 Best Answer
Susan1188
Level 10
Marbella, Spain

I make this clear in my house rules, that for stays over 10 days we will add a mandatory mid-stay clean and charge them for it

Usually they don't want it,  and most times I don't force it unless I have doubts about how they are using the apartment.   But putting that in the house rules makes it so I don't have to provide for free.

If the reservation was a good price, I will provide a change of sheets for free left in the closet.  If they got a heavily discounted stay, I do make them pay for the service.

I have professional cleaners it costs me over 100 for cleaning and linens, if my guest is paying less than 100 a night with a long stay discount I find it unreasonable to have to pay for this additional service myself.  

For stays over 2 weeks, I impose the mid stay clean to avoid surprises at the end of the stay.  Are they smoking inside, are the airing the apartment out regularly for example after cooking garlic or fish, etc.   

View Best Answer in original post

19 Replies 19
Martin3344
Level 8
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

@Peter3663 I certainly wouldn't plan for any mid stay cleans, and I don't think that guests would expect that either. Like you I have a washing machine / dryer for guests to use as they wish. For a long stay like this one I would simply put in a complimentary extra set of towels at the outset to assist them during their stay. At the end of the day we are providing self catering accommodation rather than a hotel stay and guests understand that. Hope this helps, and good luck and success with the hosting 🙂

Daniel2888
Level 2
Arusha, Tanzania

I anticipate my guests will be responsible for maintaining the cleanliness of the house and taking precautions to avoid damaging anything within the house. I will also arrange for cleaning services once a week if they stay more than 7 days. I typically supply three towels, two extra sets of bedding, soap, and access to a washing machine for their convenience

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

Peter3663 It is customary to do 'changeover halfway through a week with general cleaning ,kitchen ,bathroom and linen change. Simply tell your guests very clearly which day that will be and organize a time ,hopefully when they are out and remind them to secure valuables . If you do the clean yourself be aware this is a matter of trust between host and guest and speak with the guest . this is also a way to maintain your property and continue to offer after all ,what is serviced accommodation and short term accommodation , not long term... H

I personally do not wish ever to have guests washing any linen,because that is fast track to destroyed linen.. H

H-Cricket0
Level 1
Victoria, Canada

Good Question!

Speaking as a host with a cleaning company, my view is that its more accommodating to offer a clean linen exchange, and to also make the info easy to find in your Guide or House Manual rather than  Guests washing the linens themselves.