Extra Guests and Reviews

Extra Guests and Reviews

We have a house that sleeps 9.  It has 5 bedrooms.  We list the house for 1-4 at a rate and then extra guests are $15 per person after that rate.  This is to cover the cleaning costs associated with the extra guests.  I am not sure I am even charging enough for the extra people.  

My last guest reserved the house for 3 people.  Our check-in is at 3:00pm.  The guest told me they would be arriving around 6:00pm.  At 2:49 pm someone accessed the property with the code.  When I looked at the footage, they were different than the guests that arrived at 6:00 pm.  When the guests arrived, there were five of them.  The next day, there were more people that came.  I did not realize this until I got a call from the people that check my property and told me that all five beds had been slept in.  That is when I went back to the cameras and saw the extra guests.  I counted 9 people coming and going.  The guest explained that the first two were just dropping something off. (The family was coming in town for a celebration of their parents.) I tried to explain to the guest the reason that they can't bring extra guests.  It is clearly stated in our policies. (Liability and the extra costs associated with guests).  Our rules clearly state - no extra guests.  I just charged them for the one extra guest on the first night and the three extra on the second night,  They were very offended. I am sure I am headed for a bad review due to their response.  Is there a way to contact Airbnb and let them know of the situation?  When House Rules are broken, does the guest have the right to leave bad reviews?  How do you prevent this?  They acted like I was being unreasonable. Watching people who are not registered enter your home (with the code) is very concerning.  

2 Replies 2
Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hi @Melinda396 👋

What an awful situation to be in and I'm sorry that this has happened. You can get help or contact Airbnb Support here. 

Have you tried anything in the meantime to talk to the guests about the situation? 

Looking forward to hearing from you 😊

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Marie8425
Level 10
Buckeye, AZ

@Melinda396 

I  would say  a bad review just because the Guest is angry sucks, I know I get Them  but I look at it as a lesson  what do  I  need to do differently  so my rule but no conflict.

The exterior cameras is probably a good idea.

I would make Guests aware in a positive way,  House Manager visits the exterior of the property daily in case you need any assistance.  That also says to the rule breaker, we will notice.

Also    I totally understand the cost issues of even 1 person.  I rent private rooms 2 people max.  My pricing is  set up for  2 people.  Majority of my guests are 1 person but longer term because work so a girlfriend or wife  might visit for a week, I am covered and they love no extra cost  I think only once someone who was 1 person and I gave him a $5 per night discount and he booked immediately.  Maybe you should review your average  bookings and think maybe pricing for 4 is too low?