Extra Guests

Heather-And-Siggy0
Level 1
Ormeau Hills, AU

Extra Guests

How does one go about charging for extra guests.  Only just started and have had 2 people ask to bring an extra guest (advertised for 4 guests - they want 5).  We can do this by providing an extra bed but feel that a fee should be charged to cover washing of sheets and towels.  Don't see anywhere in the booking in area that can accommodate this.

Heather & Siggy.

48 Replies 48
Lucy45
Level 1
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

I have a guest coming who would like me to add in the second guests profile to the booking, so that both guests can be in touch. How do I do this?

I usually put it to them to do the communication between them. One thing i do which may help you if the issue is different arrival times, is that I have a keybox with a code and I keep 2 keys there. So if one arrives early and goes out for the day, the other can let himself in and wait for the first. I send the key code to one and rely on him to commnicate with the other.

I don't think there's a way to add a second profile, but happy to be corrected!

all  best wishes, Susie

Helen126
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Hi All,

Hoping you can help.

We had a reservation for 4 guests and they said there could be a fifth but they would confirm nearer the time because we would provide bedding etc. I checked with them a few days before their arrival and they said no, definitely just the four guests. Then when we got back to the house, an hour and a half after their check-out time, they were jumping in two cars and there were at least 6 guests. The sofa had definitely been used as a bed.

I have sent a message to ask how many people stayed in the end, if they don't reply do I just request additonal monies through the Airbnb resolution centre? Is the standard charge 25 per night?

Thanks for your help.

Helen

Eleonora32
Level 1
Coarsegold, CA

why it keeps saying no charge for additional guests when htere is. I cant find the way to change that. can anybody help?

Mark100
Level 3
Portland, OR

I just figured something out that might help other hosts.

I'm a relatively new guest, and had the same problem many others here are having -- of people making a reservation for 2, say, and then showing up with more people.  I had dutifully set a charge for additional guests beyond two people, and was frankly pretty annoyed when a guest who booked for 2 showed up with 3.  

I had even messaged him when he raised the possibility, saying that's fine but you need to modify your reservation through AirBnB, the charge is in there, etc. But he just showed up with the third, so I was kind of irritated.

Then, reading this thread, I realized that there are two entirely separate and potentially contradictory settings. I had extra guests set up for a charge of $20 each (under Listing => Fees and Deposits => "Additional Guests" (on), "Per person per night" ($20), and "For each guest after" (2 guests).

None of that mattered, though, because further down under Listing => Details => Rooms & Beds, I had "Max Guests" set to 2.  Which essentially turned off the setting I had just turned on, that allowed extra guests.

I don't know why the programmers of this app would allow one setting to disable 3 others without any kind of warning or alert, but that's the way it currently works. So be sure to increase you "Max Guests" to match your "Additional Guests" settings.

Mark

Lynette25
Level 2
Coffs Harbour, Australia

I have an enquiry for a booking in Feb 2017.  Booker is unsure if there will be 3 or 4 guests. Can the booker change number of guests after booking is made?

thanks

Lynette

In a case like that, I usually just let it go - if they book for 3 and end up 4, I let it slide - as long as everyone is in a bed of some acceptable standard. I strongly discourage "camping" - it gets too cramped and then they complain that the place was small etc.  Try to maintain your level of standards, and  if they are unsure about the final number of guests and are  booking well in advance, I find that being a bit flexible brings good will.  good luck!! Susie

Roxie2
Level 1
Cape Town, South Africa

Hi

I dont have a surcharge for extra guests, I have seven guests coming for new years for a week and upon hearing that I live next door. The organising guest has informed me that 3-4 extra people will be staying over on different days and they will have camping gear for them to sleep on.

I havent answered him yet, how could I have circumnavigated this situation and what should I do now?

Roxie

Hi

I see a potential for a bad review = they will complain that the accommodation was cramped and the beds were uncomfortable!  I'd tell them that the booking is for maximum x people - not 7 or whatever they plan to load in - and let them cancel if they are not happy about it.  You can say that your concern is for their comfort and that you are not happy with having guest sleep on the floor, it's not the standard you provide, etc.  Try not to be the one who cancels, Airbnb will ding you for that.....

Susie

New host here, I have read this thread, and remain confused about how to charge for extra guests, since we can't edit the field. Either its something like Option 1 or 2: Option 1. The lodge has 3 rooms and the lodge has a maximum of 9 - so I can somehow edit the extra person charge for a 10th person? This doesn't fit my desire to charge per person! Option 2. Leave it as is, with no charge for extra person, and after I publish the listing, there is a way to edit the extra person charge field. Is that right? Thanks so much~ Jean
Susan521
Level 2
Totana, Spain

Hi

We are new Hosts and are trying to get our pricing structure sorted, we have 4 seperate en suite rooms and have an extra person add on after 1 person but dont want to make it too expensive to rent, but too low that it wouldnt be worth our while doing? Does anybody else have a similar setup? Ifso what advice xouls you give us about this?

Thanks

Pete and Sue

@Susan521, just saw your lovely listing and your enquiry about how to charge. It seems to me that since each of your rooms is for 2 persons, the easiest is just to set your prices for two people and not worry about whether it is one or two.  Also, in your listing it might help to distinguish between the different rooms (e.g. Room 1, room 2, or "Blue room with double bed", "red room with two single beds" etc. so that people are booking a specific room e.g. the one with the single beds, or the one with the double bed - and specify that in the description since you have the same main photo for all your rooms. Hope that helps!  Susie

Boyd1
Level 1
Palo Alto, CA

Guests of a guest should not be allowed.

As a host, Airbnb does a good job of monitoring account activity. So why does the extra guest feature allow persons to be included on a reservation when they do not have Airbnb accounts at all? Maybe this design could be improved then for minors traveling with adults.

Hi, 

You can also add an 'extra guest' charge under your listing settings. If you go to 'Edit Listing', then scroll over to 'Pricing', then down to 'Extra Charges'. Click 'edit' and you can choose to add an additional charge per extra guest/per night after the base number of guests. 

Alexandra 

Co-Manager