Frustrated with the Airbnb Star Rating

Kai-Lin0
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Frustrated with the Airbnb Star Rating

I recently have a guest who gave me a 3 star rating in Value and Overall rating, mentioning that my place is a bit expensive for her but the airbnb algorithm would not offer her anything more affordable. The housing in my city is expensive in general. I believe this rating is not justified when she considered that this is the most affordable place she could find on airbnb. When she arrived she said this is a nice place as well. She gave a 4 star on location as well when the only thing she mentioned during booking is that she wanted to go see the Univeristy which is only 4min drive from my place. This is honestly frustrating considering she is a host as well and should know the impact that the ratings have on a listing. 

Also if a guest's thought process is to rate it like how they rate hotels, then airbnb should design a better system to reflect that instead of sending freaking warnings to hosts when they get 3 star ratings. I'm not even sure what issues I could fix in this area when my place is the most affordable option that the guest could find. I raised this issue to airbnb support and the only solution they gave was to tell me to reach out to the guest and ask her to delete the review.

6 Replies 6
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Kai-Lin0 I would agree with you except I haven't heard anyone come up with better categories to rate hosts on.

Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

Hi @Kai-Lin0 🌿

If it is the guest from Armenia you speak about she only got one review as a host. It is very likely that she doesn’t got a clue about the algorithm based rating system. I had the same problem and I had to solve it somehow and decided to explain how a platform like Airbnb works and how the rating system works on my listing for guests to read before they book - and you won’t imagine how much / and good feedback I have got from my guests - who in many cases didn’t have a clue that 5 stars meant nothing but that everything was as described and it is up to the guest to book a place that suits the guest. If something wasn’t as described or as expected compared to what was described in the listing then definitely a guest should down rate and write about it in the review. What about writing a nice message asking for feedback- explaining that anything below 5 stars are seen as if something wasn’t as described. And that you would be great full for any feedback as it is very hurtful for you receiving such low ratings. Be super friendly and ad this article to explain so it is not only your words. 
Best, Sandra 

Hi @Sandra856 ,

Thanks for the article.

I did explain to the guest when she was leaving my place how the system works. I even send her a guide to explain what each star means. But unfortunately, she still decided to gave me 3 stars.

Just wondering now if there is a better way to explain for future guests and if I should communicate this with them during their stay as well.

@Sandra856  Just re-read your message and noticed you mention putting it on the listing before they book. I think this would be helpful as well. Might start doing it

Sorry, every early in the morning when i read the replies😂

Kai Lin- we are in the same experience as you and totally agree that the clarifications in the ratings by guests are not clear for them. ABb should explain this better or remove it. Location and value does does not mean they can rate low bc they personally feel they don't like location or wanted to pay less. We have had a handful of selfish narcissist "**" guests that were also a host, at one time or another, and they've all been the MOST difficult and annoying - lying about how many in group, bringing dogs that pee on everything, not being responsible enough to clean up their doo doo, stealing, do not communicate  good at all, and then have audacity to rate us lower on areas that clearly did not warrant a lower rating.  I asked this one recent guest why she did that and she stated that she "felt" it wasn't star quality  because of issue like a bulb or needed to replace batteries in remote... are you kidding!!! This ** person never communicated one issue ever during her stay and had about 5 guests not listed and 5 dogs!!! Insane ** who thinks she can do whatever she wants and still be "a victim" grrrr these ** boomers! I DO NOT use instant book now because I am not hosting anyone like her again! These people do not care about your ratings or business as a host and many times they are just spiteful opinionated unhappy people. So, nope! I had ABB remove my overly nice review to her and reported her profile to let ABB know she is breaking rules and policies. Not to mention, identification and verifications are ridiculous!  Guests can book with unclear pictures, inaccurate names,  incomplete profiles, and for other people using their account. Unbelievably unsafe and inconceivable business practices of ABB!  Be selective and aware and good luck to you!

**[Content removed inline with the Community Center Guidelines- Please be respectful in your discussions  in Community Center]