Guest Complaining about Cleaning

Lizette41
Level 1
Jonesboro, GA

Guest Complaining about Cleaning

So we're fairly new to hosting, and I've had no issues until my last and current guest who complained about cleaning after being in the home for 3+ days and both had large groups.  

We had a professional company come in and clean, and I personally inspected the place the morning of check in.  The current guests are complaining about the floors not being swept, pull out bed not working, odor in the kitchen, and bugs.  It's the middle of summer in GA and gnats are everywhere and they come in as soon as the door is opened.  The guests before just said the floors weren't swept and had an issue about our personal stuff being in the home (they never stayed in an Airbnb before). 

I was in touch with both guests on the day of check in and neither didn't have any complaints, so I apologized and asked why I wasn't notified sooner, but they didn't have a response to that question.  Our current guests check out tomorrow and decided to complain today.

How do you guys handle these types of situations?

2 Replies 2
Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Lizette41 while when airbnb was first started it was more common for someone to rent their own home while they are travelling or to make extra money and go live with in laws for a couple of days, these days it is mostly a business and unless it is a shared home, guests do not expect to see someone else's personal belongings. You can either put them in a locked closet or make it clear in the listing. 

Now to the other complaints:

the pull out not working- they told you when they told you. Maybe it just broke or they just noticed or they did not have time to tell you. Half the time guests just do not know how to operate something. Find out if they need to use it now and if they do, come over and try to fix it or provide air mattress. If not- thank them for letting you know. Most guests would not tell you when something is broken and you will find out when next guests complain to I am always grateful when I am informed. Half the time the let me know not because they need whatever that is  but so they are not charged for the breakage. This could be the case here as well

floors- this one is confusing. You asked them if everything was ok and it was but now floors are dirty? If I understand it correctly, tell them just that- when I checked in with you on Monday (Tuesday, whenever), you indicated everything was fine. I do not provide daily cleaning service (as customary for Airbnb) but you can find a broom in the closet. If you prefer professional cleaning, I use xxx company. The charge xxx

bugs- just explain and offer a spray. Perhaps put a blurb in your listing or welcome message for future guests

odor- I think I need to know more to give advice

Good luck!

Steven1482
Level 2
Nashville, TN

We just had one this very moment. We have had several guest that gave us five star reviews  and  out of nowhere  our latest guest checks in and waits three hours to get in touch about having allergies and complaining about things not being clean. 
We suggested she leave and get a full refund but she said she can’t leave and suggested  getting a refund for the cleaning fee which we did. I keep thinking this was a setup.