Guest became hostile just before the reservation start, I don't feel comfortable hosting him, what can I do?

Patricia2864
Level 3
Managua, Nicaragua

Guest became hostile just before the reservation start, I don't feel comfortable hosting him, what can I do?

So I have a guest that so far has been relatively polite but since yesterday he start it to demand things outside the scope of our host. For instance a face to face meeting in the house which we currently don't do for COVID, beside those he demand more TV channels, an extra Tv, a rundown on everything and in a very confortative way. I contact airbnb and they said that the harassment policy may apply, have you ever encounter an issue like this ? What are your advice ?

9 Replies 9
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If the guest hasn't arrived contact Airbnb and ask them to cancel penalty free as the guest is demanding amenities not available at your listing. Is being confrontational and is making you feel uncomfortable.

insist they do this then you can let the guest know that you have asked Airbnb to cancel the booking also he can find accommodation that  better suits his needs. 

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Patricia2864 You could have told Airbnb at that time, that you weren’t comfortable having this person in your home, due to their aggressive and demanding behavior. A penalty free cancellation is needed. Follow up on that. 

Hi @Colleen253 thanks for your response, yeah I contact airbnb they indeed cancel unfortunately I am now trying to figure out a way to unblock those date, considering that the harassment occur 48 hours prior to the reservation, hopefully I can make my case that it wasn't my fault and that the guess was confrontative to me!. 

@Patricia2864 Ugh. They should not have penalized you. Was the guest being aggressive and confrontational in the Airbnb message stream? That should help prove what you were dealing with. Be persistent and insistent.

Yes, the guest was very confortative toward us, I'll follow up with airbnb later today! to continue requesting to unblock those dates (at least). Do you have any part of the airbnb policy that I can show that would apply to harassment ? 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Just call Airbnb back and insist this is done as a penalty free cancellation and the dates unblocked immediately @Patricia2864 

Patricia2864
Level 3
Managua, Nicaragua

Hi as an update to everyone I followed @Hela0  and @Colleen253  advice, I insisted and airbnb finally waive the date to be unblocked, although they say this is a "one time courtesy", but I don't mind now I have to move forward and be more alert about these types of customers!

@Patricia2864 "this is a "one time courtesy" was wrong as well, but par for the course for Airbnb Customer Circus, and at least you got the dates unblocked. Well done!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Patricia2864  If such a thing ever happens again, make sure when you talk to Airbnb that you make it clear that you feel uncomfortable and unsafe to have this person as a guest and request that they do a neutral cancellation, with no penalties to the host. What they did that caused your dates to be blocked was register it as a host cancellation, which isn't right.