Guest claims roaches

Jackie1001
Level 2
Conway, SC

Guest claims roaches

Airbnb did send a pic of one palmetto bug.  We are in SC so it does happen, but has never before.  Also, she wants a full refund.  She stayed 4 nights and left on the 5th day.  She did not give me an opportunity to fix the problem.  

11 Replies 11

@Jackie1001 

I have no suggestions for this, however, perhaps a suggestion for future potential issues. 

We all know that palmetto bugs are part of local wildlife but guests may not do their homework on this topic. It might serve to list anything potentially frightening in your listing. Tropical spiders might be included as well as lizards, mosquitoes, beetles, moths, bats, butterflies, caterpillars, snakes, frogs and ants. As a frequent traveler to tropical locations, I expect to find all sorts of visitors, especially the nocturnal sort. 

Some people expect a sterile environment, even in the tropics - they are much better suited to a hotel.

In our wilderness eco-lodge listing we mention all these neighbors, and more, and that we cannot issue refunds if someone if fortunate enough to see wildlife. The squirrel that gallops across the roof regularly as a shortcut between trees is not evidence of vermin in the attic; nor is the raven who uses the roof as a platform for announcements. Acorns falling on the metal barn roof in autumn are not gunshots, though one visitor was convinced of that, as in her country, she said, anyone could hunt on any property with impunity. 

Our guests are diverse, and all of our locations are unique. The best we can do is inform our guests of what they might encounter, so that they are not startled if wildlife visitors show up. 

Do please follow up with what you decide on this issue that you are working on. From  past posts here, you are not the only host with guests startled by such visitors, and I would guess there will be many more in the future. 

Best wishes to you and great guests!

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Jackie1001 not as exciting as @Kitty-and-Creek0 but we mention spiders in our listings to avoid these issues.

A bad review is probably coming anyway so I would push back on any claim. Also leave her an honest review (given she is being so unreasonable)

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hey @Jackie1001 👋

You've got some wonderful advice here from fellow hosts. Did you decide to refund in the end? 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Airbnb's decision was to refund her one night plus 10% of the first night and that it didn't warrant any further discount.  The proof they sent airbnb was ONE palmetto but in the bathroom and ONE that they saw outside the unit on the porch. They also sent them a picture of bug spray I had under the kitchen sink.  Really?  My bug guy was there by 9am, but they already left.  So I decided not to refund anything to them.  They did not give me an opportunity to solve the issue and told me I "stranded them for 8 hours". Airbnb said that if they left a bad review, since I am a superhost, they may remove it from the platform.  I already have a new guest checking in today.   Thank you for asking.

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hey @Jackie1001 👋

Thanks so much for coming back and letting us know. 😊 It sounds like you made the right decision for yourself and as Airbnb Support have said, this may leave to a negative review. I found this article that might help support you with responding and disputing a review which may help. 

I'm sure @Mike-And-Jane0 & @Kitty-and-Creek0  have said before that if the review cannot be removed (if it doesn't go against the guidelines) then how you respond is super important. You can always head back to get some further support from your fellow hosts if you need it. 

Do you think you'll make any changes to your listing description off the back of this experience as suggested? 😊

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

I got an email that said they DID go against the guidelines and they will NOT be able to leave a review.  I am happy with the resolution.  It was a threatening thread on the plateform.  Thanks Airbnb!

Yes, I made a change to the rules and policies to be sure to leave the screen door closed since insects like to get in especially in the summer and if this happens there is bug spray under the sink.  Thank you!

@Jackie1001 I doubt the review will be deleted but the best thing you can do is review the guest just before the end of the 14 day period so that a) you don't remind her to review (it will be too late post 14 days) and b) a bad review from her will already be below subsequent reviews. Then, as @Rebecca sort of suggests, do come here for advice on how to respond. Responses are critical to make sure future prospective guests are not put off.

Oh and by the way complaining about bug spray is ridiculous - We have mouse bait down in safe containers in our apartments and guess what - We don't have a mouse problem. 

Airbnb already told me that her review will not be allowed to be shown on the platform.  She violated some guidelines.  So I was happy.

Jackie1001
Level 2
Conway, SC

I don't know if I can leave a review of this guest, but I would like to, so other hosts know about her.

@Jackie1001 You absolutely can leave her a review.