Guest compensation

Debbie-And-Arnulfo0
Level 3
San Antonio, TX

Guest compensation

We just had a very poor communicating guest leave yesterday.  In the middle of the last night of her 5 day stay, she sent a messge complaining of noise from neighbors.  We immediately called security, who went up but had to return the second time in less than 30 minutes due to loud music.  The admininistrator ended up calling the renter of that unit and issue resolved in less than an hour.  However, we did feel quite badly and didn't want to risk a bad review, so we sent a compensation of $75.  Does she need to accept that in 48 hours?  Thx!

15 Replies 15
Anna9170
Level 10
Lloret de Mar, Spain

@Debbie-And-Arnulfo0  Why do you make such compensations? It was the noise of the neighbors, it happens almost always and everywhere. The guest did not come to Tibet for meditation.) Yes, of course we all want a quiet time after 23 PM, for example, but it's not such a crime to immediately offer money to a guest and feel guilty, IMO.
Let's make compensations for any reason, then why make business?

@Anna9170 

The fear of loosing the superhost badge works perfectly for airbnb.

Some guests are unfortunately pristine in their haggling ability, using any excuse in the book to get a discount. Sometimes it's easy to buckle to the review pressure until one's skin is thickened.

Anna9170
Level 10
Lloret de Mar, Spain

@Ute42  Obviously, the guest is likely to leave a bad review, this is blackmail, and you can not negotiate with terrorists and Blackmailers, you will still lose. 

@Debbie-And-Arnulfo0  Imagine - Four  Seasons, Hyatt, etc...In the evening, the neighbors were noisy, you complain about the reception, and?will you be offered monetary compensation? Never) In the best case, the Manager will give you a coupon for a massage, and the guest will be happy about it, like a child who received a candy.
Given that Airbnb is not just a formal platform, like booking com, but a certain relationship, it may be worth telling the guest that you are upset with this incident, which in no way (!) didn't depend on you.  And bring a $ 5 bottle of wine instead of $ 75 money and still be so worried, it's basically wrong, IMO. Guests sometimes poop on our heads, sorry, and such compensation corrupts them even more.

@Anna9170 Well you didn't answer the question, which was "does she need to accept the $75", (as opposed to does she receive it automatically?)  I wasn't asking anyone's opinion on what we did.  The guest is long gone and I live in a different country, so couldn't drop by with a bottle of wine.  Out of her 13 stays as a guest, she has only left 1 review.  Caring about a guest is part of being kind and ensuring they have a good experience on their 5 day Mexico trip.  

@Debbie-And-Arnulfo0  Mexico is a noisy country and Mexicans love blasting their music. If I gave a guest a refund every time time there was a loud, amplified event that could be heard all the way out at my place in the countryside from town and that lasted until 4AM, hosting would be a losing proposition.

I provide earplugs for guests, just in case. Although I find most of my guests tell me they travel with their own. 

@Sarah977 , believe me, I know all about Mexicans, I‘ve been married to one for 40 years.  The next door long term renters on our floor were totally out of line as evidenced on our ring camera. We have a disclaimer on our listing about street noise because our unit is on the malecón and we hear banda and music from the pulmonías all night long.  We have many return guests and have never had a noise complaint.  The money can be expensed on our taxes we pay in Mexico and the U.S. The question was regarding the payout procedure and not seeking advice about whether we did the correct thing or not.  

I was actually looking for the advice @Anna9170  posted. As an aside, "you can not negotiate with terrorists and Blackmailers" is precious. It's a forum and people should share their opinions.

Anna9170
Level 10
Lloret de Mar, Spain

@Debbie-And-Arnulfo0  If you send money via Airbnb, your counterpart simply receives a notification that he received money from the sender. There is no option to accept or not accept.
And I answered the other part of the question, even if you didn't ask it.)

I'm not sure why you are scared of a bad review. You can leave a public comment on that review. If you have lots of good reviews people will discount one bad one.

Plus - your guest can't SEE your review until after they post their own, and vice versa. Just be honest.

And giving her a refund is fine, but it sets up the wrong expectations going forward for future hosts.

@Christine615   I realize that she won't see my very honest review, until after.  I refunded her less than half of a night, but felt like it was out of consideration to her for a less than perfect night of sleep. I take our superhost status literally, overall 4.95.   I thought I had read that they needed to accept the payment in 48 hours.  And now I doubt whether she will even bother to open the app and even see it.  I am not expecting a review from her, good or bad because of her history.   

Understand. And good for you. Sometimes a simple act of kindness is says a lot about a wonderful host. ❤️

@Christine615 , kindness and thoughfulness should certainly take a priority over money!  I've never refunded anyone anything in the last 65 groups of guests.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Debbie-And-Arnulfo0 They get it automatically; and yes, it is one of those case-by case situations that one decides by one's instincts.