Guest enters home days prior to check in

Lorene11
Level 1
Chino Hills, CA

Guest enters home days prior to check in

I have a guest who is due this weekend. They have come 2 x because they are doing a short film in my home. Well I wasn't home and I have cameras inside for when my place is empty, which I tell guests to unplug as they check in. I leave my key in a lock box, I love in an apartment. Now today Tuesday I checked camera and it was moved. I asked her she said yes they were checking some stuff and they would leave. I'm offended. I had to drive over just to see and they got a permit for this but I don't want them inside ...like who does that? Am I wrong for having them removed. Last time they went they left blinds open and turned light off. No consideration. 

2 Replies 2
Rowena29
Level 10
Australia

@Lorene11 

Personally I would change my set up so that no guest would ever be able to access and re enter my property after they had checked out, especially if I didn't live nearby.  I would either change the lockbox code between guests or have a keypad which could be controlled remotely where I could alter the code between guests.

I dont' blame you for being offended and I think it was presumptuous of this guest to enter without asking.  However it's a good idea to ensure you have strategies in place to deal with the lowest denominator of guest - much easier to prevent things happening than having to deal with them once they are occurring.

I'm sure other hosts will have further strategies to offer

Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

@Lorene11  This person entered your premises outside of their reservation dates and without your permission, they are trespassing.  Change the code on your lock box.  Cancel their reservation due to the unauthorized access.