Guest threw a party, and the city fined me? Does Airbnb Host liability cover this fine?

Yan59
Level 2
Silver Spring, MD

Guest threw a party, and the city fined me? Does Airbnb Host liability cover this fine?

My guest decided to throw a party.

1) I called Airbnb, and his reservation was cancelled, and we forced everyone to leave.

2) The cops were called by my neighbors. I was issued a $1,500 fine, due to noise and city ordinance violation.

I'm passing the fine through Airbnb's resolution system along with damages, which comes to $2,700. Will  "Airbnb's Host liability insurance" cover city fines? I'm reading through the policy, and it doesn't cover "punitive fines." The guest will decline the Airbnb resolution.

Should I start a small claim lability court against this guest? Should I find a lawyer per the cop's instruction?

3 Replies 3
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Yan59 I would wait and see if it is covered before you go to court. The small claims court feels like the way to go but do you have the guests name and address? I doubt Airbnb will give it to you.

Because the cops showed up, I already have the full address and identity of the guest who hosted the party.

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

If you're neighbours had to call the police because your guests were partying it sounds like you need CCTV to monitor your guests so that you can stop any potential parties before they start @Yan59 

I agree if the guest doesn't pay your costs through Airbnb. Take them to court.