Guests force Price Wars

Answered!
Linda1161
Level 3
Toronto, Canada

Guests force Price Wars

This recommendation and request for Airbnb to review this constant problem Hosts are experiencing from Guests. 

I lay awake tonight and want to provide a Host point of view to Airbnb because it is a true shame that Host's do not receive fair treatment from Airbnb. We have continuous guidelines implemented by Airbnb, ie. respond within 24 hours, do this and don't do that etc. I fail to understand why in these difficult times GUESTS are not penalised for sending nonsense inquiries on our properties.

As a Host we are already struggling with loss of money finding it difficult to carry the expenses on our properties. I am referring to the latest inquiry I received from Pradesh Kumar for 2 Guests Jan 31 to May 1st booking. This man wastes my time and sends me a request to offer me $450.00 less of the total $1,950 per month for a 2 bedroom apartment in Mississauga blaming the Airbnb charges that he has to pay and expecting me to pay his fees stating that his budget is only $1,500.

Why is this Guest not penalised for doing this? Hosts should not be harassed by  Guests who do this, its not only insulting it is highway robbery.  Airbnb knows full well that Guests have to book a property for their stay, it is not a case of losing a Guests.  It is more about  Airbnb allowing Guests the ability to price war Hosts and putting the heat making Hosts combat each other.  I have not received an inquiry on my listing for over 2 months and now I am 2 weeks away from his requested booking period.  It makes me as a Host vulnerable to this abuse because it is allowed and Airbnb has not implemented guidelines to stop it. 

The only way to prevent this is for Airbnb to penalize Guest who do this! Stop the price wars and protect your HOSTS! Airbnb will still get the bookings, Guests need to find accommodations, they can afford it, they just don't want to pay and if Airbnb implements strategies to stop this Airbnb will make more fees on these bookings, increasing revenue therefore increasing Stock price.   Airbnb will earn more money not lose money and it allows Airbnb to be fair with their Hosts finally because so far throughout Covid Airbnb has not been fair to Hosts.   

We do not have the bookings to keep our Super Host Status, I lost mine.  We get hit by unfair manipulating Guests who manouever the system for free accommodations who then lie through their teeth to get a discount or free nights stays.  Then they have the ability to provide a damaging false review in turn hurting honest sincere hardworking Hosts.  I know I had it done to me in this very same apartment. I had Guests from Hell and still to this day have hurt me with their dishonest review.      

Taking away all of our money on 100% guarantee refunds to Guests was brutally unfair and dictated complete ignorance to a Hosts position. It would have been decent to split the costs 50%/50% not force Hosts to take the full burden. Hosts did not create this pandemic and we are all suffering through it. My bookings are down and requests for bookings are few and far between no matter how low I go on price. I don't even cover my expenses and there is no end in sight here in Ontario.

Again vaccines are delayed. I would like to think that Airbnb Quality Control takes time to read these messages, do you?? Or is this fallen on deaf ears. It is a simple report button Airbnb can put on their system so Hosts can trigger a comment to the Guest advising them they are unreasonable with their request and a note will now go onto their profile. If that Guest does it continually why does Airbnb Allow that Guest to abuse the goodwill of a Host. I am confident they will stop this nonsense of trying to swindle Host after Hosts with request for outrageous discounts.

If this is not the place to submit this recommendation please advise where I can send this. I have copied it.

"3:50 PM

Hi Linda,
Is this a basement apartment?
We are planning for a three months stay at your place.

Can you please give us a discount on the price? 1500 CAD a month would suit our budget.

I will have to pay Airbnb charges in addition to that.
Thanks."

Linda PInizzotto
1 Best Answer
Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Linda1161 Your premise is absolutely ridiculous. Whether you can sustain your STR at your current price in the current market has nothing to do with guests asking for discounts. Two different issues.  Just say no. 

View Best Answer in original post

36 Replies 36

@Linda1161 

Send a special offer at 2000$ per night 🙂

They will feel special.

@Nathalie-Et-Gilles0 you made my days 😀 that's hilarious thank you so  much 🤗

If you visit Toronto please let me know.  My husband and I took the train to Paris a few years ago from Munich where my son was playing hockey.  It is so amazing, people, food, sites and attractions.. So very nice to meet you.  Best wishes.. I love your suggestions.  You are the best!!

Linda PInizzotto

@Linda1161 

Hosts and travellers can flag an inapropriate emails.

I used it to flag travellers wanting to deal in direct.

Airbnb loves people who don't want to pay airbnb fees 🙂

If you believe they should be flagged, feel free to flag them.
You can also block them and Airbnb check why. They won't be blocked for other hosts but the cannot contact you any longer.

@Linda1161 

We planed to go to Canada last summer but the covid disturbed our plans.

Wait and see.

A final anecdote about special guests - which happened for real at the end of the XIXth century :

The Emperor of the French Napoleon III was travelling in the Alps and stopped in a modest inn to lunch.
He ordered an omelet. 

When the bill arrived it was an indecent amount. Over a month salary for a worker.

The emperor asked to the innkeeper if chickens were rare in the mountains to have such an expensive omelet.
The innkeeper replied :

"Chickens are not rare here, Your Majesty, but emperors are".

@Nathalie-Et-Gilles0  Yes Covid has really changed our lives.  I can't wait til it is over, we can all safely enjoy our life again.

Touche, this is a perfect anecdote!!   Thank you  I have saved your profile if I can refer anyone to your space I will.  You have lovely accommodations and amazing reviews too.   I have only been on this forum today and one other time.  I am not sure what the Levels 1 - 10 actually mean? 

Linda PInizzotto
Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Linda1161 The levels 1-10 are only a reflection of how active a person is on this forum - posts, thumbs up received/given. They measure quantity, not necessarily quality!

Hi @Helen350 very good to know thank you so much for sharing this information.  I appreciate it, now have to throw out some nice thumbs up too 👍  Have a wonderful evening and take care 

Linda PInizzotto