Guests seem to have left, Concerned

Steven974
Level 2
Layton, UT

Guests seem to have left, Concerned

We had guests book our basement apartment for three days. They came at midnight the first night, which was strange, and then seemed to leave early the next morning. We've not heard a peep since and their car is gone. It seems like they checked out. We have texted and called to ask if everything is okay over a 12-hour period, no response. I'm worried about theft or worse. At what point would it be okay for me to enter the basement and check on things?  They are still booked for another night, but something seems wrong.

5 Replies 5
Mark1357
Level 4
Casa de Oro-Mount Helix, CA

I believe you have the right to access your property at any time. As a courtesy is try and make them aware that you are going to access the space. Good Luck I hope it's a simple as they checked out! 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Steven974  If I were you, I'd check on things. But why are you hosting 3 night bookings in the midst of stay-at-home advisories? It would be actually dangerous, healthwise for you to enter the unit.

Steven974
Level 2
Layton, UT

We've wondered about whether we should shut down. But our basement is a totally separate private space and we never come in close, if any, contact with the guests. We go in and sanitize very carefully when they leave.  There have been some people who seem to have legitimate needs such as first responders traveling for work, or parents having visitation with children.

@Steven974 It isn't just a matter of you not coming in close contact with the guests. No one is supposed to be travelling right now for any non-essential reason. In the course of moving around, the guests themselves put other people in danger of infection. Parents having visitation with their children is NOT essential at this time,and these people are flaunting isolation orders, exposing their children to danger, and you would be facilitating this. Stay at home means stay at home. Whoever ignores this is prolonging the spread of infection and the length of time these isolation restrictions will have to remain in place.

First responders are another matter- they do need housing and if you can provide it, that's great.

Are you aware you shouldn't even enter the space to clean and sanitize for at least 3 days after guests leave? If you go in any sooner, you are exposing yourself to risk of infection. Have you read the cleaning advisories for Covid?

Thanks. I suppose we should be more careful.  I appreciate your advice.