Help!

Ashenafi0
Level 2
Reston, VA

Help!

Hello, I’m a new host and I’m currently hosting my 1st guest. The guest booked for 28 nights and due to checkout on Monday the 14th. However, he is insisting to extend and did not want to go through Airbnb . My concern is, if he will not leave on Monday what do I do? 

4 Replies 4
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Ashenafi0 

If you want to extend the guests stay, then confirm he will need to do so through Airbnb and that if he does not do so, he will need to leave at the agreed check out time. 

The guest has no right (legal or otherwise) to insist on him staying if his booking has finished. Particularly as you offer a room in a shared home.

If the guest does not leave you will need to ensure he leaves (bring someone with you as a witness). Once his booking is complete he will be trespassing.

Thanks! That’s very helpful 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Ashenafi0  Don't let this guest bully you.  I would tell him you can't extend him, reverify the check-out date and time and get him to confirm he will leave on that date.

You can check VA laws on tenant rights, but I believe since it has been only 28 days he can't claim he's a tenant, so once the reservation ends he is at risk for being ousted by police for trespassing.  The police tend to have unpredictable reactions to Airbnb issues, sometimes they think it is not a police issue, sometimes they do...but if push comes to shove you could certainly threaten to call police even if you did not intend to do it.  Good luck.

Thanks very much!