Home Security System: Leave on or remove?

Molly331
Level 2
Charlotte, NC

Home Security System: Leave on or remove?

I have a SimpliSafe Security system for my condo; it does not include a camera or recording devices. It can be set in home and away mode with a pin. I'm renting my condo for a long-term stay and am not sure what to do with it. Do I leave it on and available if the renter chooses to use it? Or do turn it off/take it down anytime renters are present? 

2 Replies 2
Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Molly331 . All monitoring systems must be disclosed in your descriptions. Stating where they are. They are not allowed to be in private areas such as bedrooms and bathrooms. Guests have been known to take offence at in living areas as well. Noting, guests have gotten refunds for use in some of these living spaces. 

I personally have two cameras on mine and the guest driveways which I disclose. I also live on site. Many remote hosts insist on them.
Hope this is a starting point...  🙂DEB969F9-813B-402C-8776-E32C9CE1897E.jpegCDF28FDA-40A3-4826-B6F7-9AA33E083EEC.jpeg59CDE785-C21F-4969-93B9-46E293FD205F.jpeg

Kellie134
Level 1
Humble, TX

@Molly331 Hi! I am in the same situation you describe in your post. What did you ultimately decide on? I can see pros and cons to leaving the SimpliSafe equipment and removing it. Thank you for your help!