Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Host Changed Locations

Host Changed Locations

Our host changed locations and has yet to send a change of location request.  In the message I received it stated I have been upgraded to a more luxurious location, better amenities, larger apartment, etc. due to him acquiring another unit.  There was a link included in the message stating that it is not the unit, but it is the same building.  BTW, this is in NYC, and they just changed the AIRBNB rules.  He said if I have any questions I should contact him, and he gave me his phone number.  I looked up the unit on Zillow and it sold in 2019.  I called Airbnb and the guy on the phone said, "you are confirmed".  Should I stay with the reservation and give the host a call to find out the details or cancel and find another place?

3 Replies 3
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Moose-Pass0 I would ask Airbnb to cancel and find you another place. A host cannot/should not do this without sending a proper change request. It may take a few calls to Airbnb before you get a suitable customer service person who understands how this is unacceptable. 
Also make sure all messages are on Airbnb. If they are not then copy any messages into Airbnb's system and send them back to the host (eg 'You sent me a message saying 'XXX' but you haven't sent a change request)

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

The host is not allowed to try and change your booking to another listing ... it's often referred to as bait and switch. @Moose-Pass0 

tell the host you want to stay in the apartment you've booked and ask them why they aren't honouring your booking. 

I would also try to have all of your conversations with your host on the Airbnb platform, as there will be a record of your information exchange.