Host walked into apartment unannounced - while I was asleep. Is there any policy to prevent this?

Leonie53
Level 2
Netherlands

Host walked into apartment unannounced - while I was asleep. Is there any policy to prevent this?

The host coming into the apartment unannounced is what I'm wondering about. I experienced this two days ago as a guest while renting an apartment in Italy - NB: I rented the entire apartment. I was asleep, and granted, it was around 10AM so indeed it was late in the morning. But as I had been traveling overnight the entire night prior to that, I was exhausted. I woke up in shock when the host walked into my bedroom and put on the light. She was clearly shocked too and felt very embarrassed, and she apologized. She said she had forgotten something out of her apartment that she needed. (She rents out her entire apartment that she normally lives in). I felt embarrassed too and I didn't want her to feel too uncomfortable, so I apologized too, as I had not heard her ring the doorbell. (I sleep with earplugs and I'm not a light sleeper, so I had not woken up from the doorbell). Frankly I also didn't mention it in the review I left, as I felt the host was kind. Yet, I still feel a bit unhappy about the entire situation. For one: my telephone was lying next to my head, and she had not called to warn or ask if she could come in. She had not sent an email either. Secondly: I was not fully dressed, as I was lying in bed. If she had walked in just a bit later for all I know I could have just walked out of the shower. I don't feel really comfortable about this situation, plus: albeit not with this host, in general I see some safety issues in this as a female traveling on my own.  Third: my belongings were in the apartment including passport, wallet etc, and although I trust the host (let that be clear: I do think she is a reliable person), I don't find it a very comfortable idea someone would be walking around when I'm not there without first informing me.
Overall, it made me wonder if there is any policy with this regard, to avoid that I or any other guest runs into a similar situation in the future. Thanks a lot!

32 Replies 32

@Kailee3  Have you spoken to the host about this? For sure that's a disturbing thing to happen but maybe there is some reasonable explanation. For instance, there have been cases where the host was under the impressionthat the guest had checked out, or not yet checked in, thought the place was empty, then been thoroughly embarrassed to walk in on the guests. So it could be something like that- maybe they even knocked but you didn't hear it with the shower running.

If the host knows nothing about it, or reacts in an unconcerned way, then you should consider moving if you feel unsafe, and report it to Airbnb.

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Kailee3 Is it practical to ask Airbnb to cancel your stay and for you to find a new place to stay? If yes then thesis probably your best option.

Wow that has always been a concern to me and i'm single an 60 years old. I think I will stick with a nice hotel  because at least you can put the extra latch above the lock , so if some one swipe to try and come in that is the extra security.