Host walked into apartment unannounced - while I was asleep. Is there any policy to prevent this?

Leonie53
Level 2
Netherlands

Host walked into apartment unannounced - while I was asleep. Is there any policy to prevent this?

The host coming into the apartment unannounced is what I'm wondering about. I experienced this two days ago as a guest while renting an apartment in Italy - NB: I rented the entire apartment. I was asleep, and granted, it was around 10AM so indeed it was late in the morning. But as I had been traveling overnight the entire night prior to that, I was exhausted. I woke up in shock when the host walked into my bedroom and put on the light. She was clearly shocked too and felt very embarrassed, and she apologized. She said she had forgotten something out of her apartment that she needed. (She rents out her entire apartment that she normally lives in). I felt embarrassed too and I didn't want her to feel too uncomfortable, so I apologized too, as I had not heard her ring the doorbell. (I sleep with earplugs and I'm not a light sleeper, so I had not woken up from the doorbell). Frankly I also didn't mention it in the review I left, as I felt the host was kind. Yet, I still feel a bit unhappy about the entire situation. For one: my telephone was lying next to my head, and she had not called to warn or ask if she could come in. She had not sent an email either. Secondly: I was not fully dressed, as I was lying in bed. If she had walked in just a bit later for all I know I could have just walked out of the shower. I don't feel really comfortable about this situation, plus: albeit not with this host, in general I see some safety issues in this as a female traveling on my own.  Third: my belongings were in the apartment including passport, wallet etc, and although I trust the host (let that be clear: I do think she is a reliable person), I don't find it a very comfortable idea someone would be walking around when I'm not there without first informing me.
Overall, it made me wonder if there is any policy with this regard, to avoid that I or any other guest runs into a similar situation in the future. Thanks a lot!

32 Replies 32
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Leonie53  You are justified in your discomfort and alarm at the host entering the space while you are renting it.  Without prior WRITTEN communication on the Air BNB message system in which you given permission for the host to come it, she should not have entered for something she "forgot".  

You have the right to privacy.  Perhaps if there was a verifiable emergency on the property potentially affecting  you, that would be a reason to enter but certainly not for the convenience of the host.

You are apparently a forgiving person and did not want to hurt this host, but perhaps she should be flagged for this behavior in case she feels it is ok to do this.  Under her profile name is a flag.  Use this to communicate to Air BNB.  If they see a pattern of behavior, they may take steps to remove the listing.

Leonie53
Level 2
Netherlands

Thank you so much for your input, Lina. I appreciate it a lot. Indeed I don't want to hurt the host, as I don't believe she has bad intentions. She seemed like a kind person to me, and I would hate it if this would damage her listing and hard work. She felt embarrassed too about the situation and instantly pointed out herself she had made a mistake. Yet in general it made me wonder and a bit more worried. I've had situations in which I felt very unsafe during travels but never in an AirBnB, and it is also reason I like to rent AirBnB's when I travel. But I would not feel comfortable if hosts can just walk in like that while I'm asleep or taking a shower or while I left my belongings behind without at least being informed upfront that the host will enter the apartment. And it made me wonder if AirBnB does not maintain any policy with this regard.

Leonie53
Level 2
Netherlands

I guess I will keep the keys inside the keyhole of the locked door of any apartment I rent from now on, whenever I'm inside. I was specifically asked by this host not to do that as she expressed worry about the lock, which is why I took the keys out of the keyhole. But it should solve the problem I mentioned at least when I'm in the apartment myself.

@Leonie53 I think all hosts should know that no one should enter the property during the entire guest stay.

The only exception would be at the request of the guest, or at the very least with the guest's expressed permission.

You should have been upset and uncomfortable. The host is extremely lucky you did not mention the incident in your review.

I rent rooms but the principle is the same, their property for the duration.

If there was a force majure, you were out and a burst pipe for example that would be different.

Most of my Guests are short term, if they stay longer I offer to change out everything mid term, not sure one has wanted me to do that yet.

David

I agree, I wouldn’t want a host to enter my rented Airbnb while I was there. That’s some crazy **bleep**

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Leonie53

There are no general rules as there are a lot of different accomodation types listed on airbnb including hotels and Bed and Breakfast establishment where staff/host is supposed to enter the room and do housekeeping.

I suppose your host rang the bell and when no-one responded she assumed you were out and about and took the chance of entering to grab the forgotten item.  I bet she has learnt her lesson !

The done thing would have been to ask your permission before entering unless it was an emergency.

Host trusted you with her belonging too - so in this case the risk would be both ways I suppose.

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Leonie53 Definitely out of manner - it is generally assumed in the hospitality industry that guests should not be disturbed in the space they rented. 

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Cristos0
Level 1
Sacramento, CA

While AirB is very host-centric, and very uninclined to give a straight answer to anything, I did receive a direct confirm that hosts ARE NOT ALLOWED TO ENTER YOUR BOOKED SPACE WITHOUT PERMISSION.

Cristos0
Level 1
Sacramento, CA

It is also worth pointing out the ludicrous debate on this subject, which makes clear that there are A LOT of Hosts who think and do otherwise (to turn off the lights or check your closet...:( Your leverage as a Guest is Very Limited and extra security measures - for when you are in or out - are adviseable..

Christian883
Level 1
Vancouver, Canada

I just had the exact same thing happen to me in Italy this morning. I was asleep so did not hear the doorbell, but woke up when I heard her come into the apartment.

The host claimed to have messaged me saying she needed to grab the laundry, but I do not have any messages from here on any of my lines of communication. She claimed to think I was out of the apartment and that she would return when I'm not here. I do not feel comfortable leaving my items in this apartment knowing someone can come in at any time without my prior knowledge or consent.

Mario817
Level 1
New Orleans, LA

I travel for work and today, I wasn’t feeling so great and took off from work. I go to the urgent clinic and when I return to the Airbnb there’s wood shaving in the parking lot and it was pretty clear someone had been or was inside of my Airbnb. When I open the door they have tools and toolboxes laid out next to my suitcase and personal belongings. I am very upset about that and don’t understand why this has happened.

Debbie574
Level 2
Coupeville, WA

I'm trying to find out if this is illegal as we had a similar experience. This experience happened in Puyallup Wa.  An hr before check out after a 3 night stay, we were down stairs gathering our things from the fridge as i heard the key pad being used. A older man walks right in on us and asks " did you enjoy the house?" I was so shocked i didn't know what to say. I assumed because he let himself in ( no warning or knocking) he was our hosts husband. He said he was there to get a step van and went out the back door to the back yard. 

I said to my husband what was that about...I told my husband he walked right in...

5 mn later i heard key pad again and he entered again heading through kitchen as before to back door. 

This time i said nicely " excuse me, shouldn't we have had notice you would be needing to get in here?

He instantly stopped walking and said "no" i said " really?" And just like a 9 yr old, he said " see ya" all *bleep* and left through the front door. 

I contacted the owner our host who was out of the country, and she said it was her partner and he didn't know we were there!!! Ummm he parked right next to us in the drive way, and didn't act surprised to see us inside. 

I ended up contacting Airbnb and sent text messages to them and photos of his car in drive way and where the van had been sitting that he drove away. 

Airbnb asked me what i thought should be done, and i requested a full refund. 

They responded i did not have enough proof and they were willing to refund me 100 from Airbnb funds ( not the hosts funds) and also another reason 100 was the refund amount is because we stayed the whole stay! 

It creeps me out knowing he had access to our rental. Expecially since the host removed a bed before our stay and a 11 yr old girl slept downstairs on the couch by herself. 

So the message i get from Airbnb is disturbing. Anyone can walk in on you using the key pad code and we can't really do anything, but hers 100 from us to make you feel better. Isn't this illegal? I have all text messages back and forth between myself, manager, host and Airbnb...this is unsafe and crazy!

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Debbie574 illegal has a strong meaning and it isn't to be legally precise. But it shouldn't be done without previous notice too. Full refund is a bit unrealistic too, I understand you were scared and you could ask for a refund for that day for example or you should have canceled and you would get refund for the nights you didn't stay, if I feelt unsafe somewhere thats what I would have done. You can't stay and use everything and ask for a full refund. You are basically saying that staying for free isn't that scary as it is if you would pay.