Hosts, beware first-time guests

Kristina247
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

Hosts, beware first-time guests

Hi everyone,

I just want to inform you all of a nightmare guest I have come across recently. I blame my own complacency somewhat in not personally vetting this guest more closely; he was a young male from the UK called 'Bob' and he looked like a normal chap so I went ahead with the booking despite the fact that it was a first time booking and therefore he didn't have previous reviews - I simply presumed Airbnb would have requested his ID and other details.

Closer to the booking I asked him if he was definitely travelling alone - the reason why is that I have a 2 bedroom apartment in Central London so thought it unusual that a single male would book a 2 bedroom apartment. He confirmed he was alone and looking forward to his trip.

I'd better point out at this point I have a key box and self check-in as I'm not usually around.

Thankfully there was no disturbance reported from the neighbours but when 'Bob' checked out it was clear some kind of party had gone on in my flat. Furniture had been moved into the bedrooms, both bedrooms had been used and littered with used condoms.

Clearly I complained and requested that Bob pay for carpet cleaning. Airbnb called me and said that 'Bob' was operating under different profiles and now this profile had been deleted. The phone number he gave me was also deleted. Airbnb were very apologetic and refunded me the money for carpet cleaning but I asked how it was possible for someone to operate under different names when  photo ID is always provided. They admitted that they don't enforce the guest to provide photo ID until the second booking. I was outraged - was anyone else aware of this rule?

Who knows who Bob was but I strongly suspect that something highly dubious occurred i my flat that weekend that could have involved drugs/prostitutes/people trafficking... I'll never know but why else would 'Bob' go to such extreme lengths to set this up? I shiver at the thought.

Anyway the moral of the story is beware of first time users and ask for photo ID before you accept a first-timer as clearly Airbnb have reduced their security and this puts us hosts at risk.

Kind regards,

Kristina

54 Replies 54
Olga464
Level 10
Kyiv, Ukraine

I never have problems with my first time guests. I have such strong politics of placement inside the house that it's like living in the prison. All of my first time guests were the cleanest ever, some were around 50 y.o. who just started to do airbnb. Some were around 20. I give them very good reviews as I am a co-owner of one of the oldest 150 y.o. guest houses in Europe. The only thing I am affraid of is that they can make a mess in another places and my good review will not count anymore. But inside my place they are always the cleanest people ever. But I have HUGE financial penalties. And because first time guests are getting a lot of refusals because having no previous reviews, I get all rejected ones here by the end of the day. "Welcome to my prison". 

haahahah!

Hi @Olga464  how are you doing? Are you OK?

Olga464
Level 10
Kyiv, Ukraine

Kristina, for you to feel relaxed, I rent out one piece of property, which is a guest room inside the apartment. People are staying with the owner, me. And some even bring prostitutes at night, also, my house rules are torturing. Nothing is allowed. I have great fun of making photographs of all that about to start mess and sending to airbnb.  Basically, daily rent is not what I do. I have been in long term rent business for about 15 years in diplomatic sector and own few property pieces. But, just to discover daily rent business I went on Airbnb, because one of my properties is in re-renting process now waiting for a right long term budget . And, you have to have a really strong menthal system to be in a daily rent business. Anything you do not put on the paper is allowed to be done in your apartment. You can read my ad. It's a short version for a daily rent client (10 pages). Diplomats-renters are signing 80 pages of the contract. I am recognized to be the owner with the longest contract in our capital. Swiss embassy told me once that they are facing such a detailed contract first time in 20 years practice. But, that's how it works with humans.

No joke with @Olga464  from Ukraine 😄 hahaha

Olga464
Level 10
Kyiv, Ukraine

And about not very careful monitoring of the client in the process of registration. 

For daily rent I use airbnb and few more sites, including local providers. 
So, once I got my place booked by a girl with a nikname "LIKA SWEET MIRACLE" . 
And turned out to be that she booked 1 room for 3 young arab guys.
When she found out that it's a room, she disappeared. 

So, here I am, staying infront of the house waiting for 3 arab guys.
They show up. 
I tell them:
- Your friend booked a room.
- What do you mean "a room", we booked the entire apartment!

I tell them:
- Here is an add. It's a room.
- We wanna come up and see.

Ok, We go inside the house. I show the room. The guys say it's a good room and start to laugh at 1 of his friends saying: "You will be living with the owner".
And because that guy is of some strict religious views, he's responding to them: " I WILL NOT BE LIVING WITH THE WOMAN. Can you move somewhere for a night?"

I tell him:
- If you book me a place in Hyatt infront, I can stay there.
And his friend says:
- He's not allowed to share a place with a woman.

So, I show them printed out version of their request and say:
- I don't understand you. Having a friend named "LIKA SWEET MIRACLE" who booked a room is not a problem for you, but sharing an apartment with an owner is a problem?

At that moment it is important not to smile. So, guys understood they lost the game, brought their apologies and left the house.

GREAT story Olga.   You rock!

Olga,  I think Netflix needs to pick you up as the next incarnation of Tales of the City. Hysterical!

Lika sweet miracle really exists somewhere. I am not creating fictions here.... Here is the creen of that order.

*[Personal information hidden for safety reasons–in line with the Community Center Guidelines - to use the Direct Messaging function here in the Community Center, hover over the post profile photo and click 'Send Message']

Olga, if I ever make it to the Ukraine, I am staying with you!

Hi. I am registered for the first time. Hope to get a good person. Thanks for all the updates. What else can I enquire other than ID to make sure this person is genuine 

- picture of passport,  first page

- social facebook profile

- copy of their ticket

- a notarized paper of inheritance.....)))))) 

Thank you for this article. I am first time on Airbnb and today itself I received request from fake host - with linked url Like this 

https://airbnb.rent-long-term.online/1/listing/56/view-9n2e9mlg/ME-OIMWSOA#

Zacharias0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

Im glad to hear they at least paid for the carpet cleaning. I wrote about their lack of vetting the people they send us a few weeks ago. Its scary and dangerous how we are putting our investments on the line and blindly giving them to random people who we believe have good intentions. It makes us not trust new people. If only Airbnb would do something about it. 

Neriza-and-Dan0
Level 2
Colorado Springs, CO

Hello. My husband and I are new to hosting and have been reading on and off throughout the last 4 months in these community message boards.

First, I understand we're here to support one another. Second, majority of what I read are complaints and not just a warning for others; therefore, posts which are more about complaints become gossip.

Third, as hosts, we're here to provide a great stay and create great connections with guests, hosts, etc., while I see majority of us are hosting to gain extra income on the side or even quit our full-time job.

While my husband and I both work from home, at our own schedule, we haven't experienced any negative guests. My heart does have empathy for hosts who have though. While at the same time, it's more of a person's own responsibility to be aware in their thinking, feeling, and doings in life... which the Universe (God)  "gives back in reflection" -- a mirror, of what our inner world actually is, based with our interaction with how our "world" is... Hence, without knowing this on a spiritual level, with different layers and depths like an onion, yes, others will experience "bad guests" more than others..

The good thing is, those are lessons, which are more for us to be a higher example and a responsibility for us in how we respond to our future guests, our community (on-line or off), and still continue to love/like the person(s), but not their negativities..as we correct them..

Best of prayers and your future journey in hosting,

Neriza

(Ner-risa)