Hosts: what do YOU look for in an Airbnb when you travel?

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Hosts: what do YOU look for in an Airbnb when you travel?

I am making the assumption that many hosts are also guests. I know this is true for us. We joined Airbnb as guests and continue to stay (when travel is allowed of course!)

Becoming a host has really opened my eyes to the vast range of amenities, niceties and items that hosts might offer. Before I hosted I probably wouldn't have paid attention to many of these little touches. But now I realize how much work and thought goes into many of these things.  It has increased my appreciation for hosts who go the extra mile. 

As far as what we look for in the space itself, the top considerations are often the following: 

Entire space and we love unique stays

Pet friendly

Nice bath with soaking tub or at least a bathtub

Reviews that mention a comfortable bed (though I know this is relative to the individual but I like so see a few reviews that assure me the bed is not hard as a rock)

Reviews that mention responsive, friendly hosts and clean spaces 

Non-retaliatory responses to outlier guest reviews if there any

I do prefer a Superhost as I know I won't be driving from the airport only to get a cancellation mere miles away from check-in (that happened) but that is not a deal-breaker for me. 

Pictures are important too. A nicely appointed space with a decent photo goes a long way.  I also love it when hosts include a floor plan of the space or a map that shows where the space is relative to other attractions especially if I am booking in an urban location. 

I don't mind at al if a host wants to meet me or not, if there is a security camera on the property, if a host wants to check my ID (though I can say I have never had one ask). I am fine with all of that and understand that it give hosts extra peace of mind. 

So what do you look for when you travel, fellow hosts? 

26 Replies 26
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

Private, quiet, updated, clean, uncluttered.

Pup-friendly, depending on trip.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Laura2592,

It has to be an entire space, but doesn't have to be very spacious.  Location is dependent upon the mode of transportation that I will be using to get around.  If I am driving, I don't have to be close to one specific attraction or the city center.  Otherwise, I need to stay in a place that is close to public transportation.  

I prefer spaces with modern furnishings, clean lines, and personal touches that don't give a cluttered feeling.  I do cook while traveling, and a kitchen is essential.  I will not consider renting a space that doesn't show pictures of the bathroom.  I am more of a park person, and don't need to have a balcony or yard.  Especially, if I am visiting a place that has a lot of mosquitoes.  The space needs to be non-smoking and no pets.  I don't care about the length of the house rules list.  They just need to be reasonable.

After I've slimmed down my list of potential properties, I look at the reviews of the host, and the reviews that the host left for guests.  The guest's listed city or country also help give me some perspective of the review.  For example, I know not to give a lot of weight to a review from an American that complains about the small size of a European apartment.  It's also important to see if the guest indicates what they were doing while in the place.  Reviews that say it was easy to walk to the local bars and nightclubs lead me to believe that the space was primarily used as a flop house, and that guest's rave review may likely highlight different aspects of the space than I deem to be important. 

I have learned that mattress comfort is totally subjective.  I stayed in a couple of places last year which received favorable comments about the beds, and they felt like memory form that had forgotten that it was supposed to be a mattress.  Given that Airbnb is being manipulative regarding host cancellations since the declaration of the pandemic, I would probably contact the host to ask what happened, if I were really interested in the space.

For price, I just choose what I consider to be the best option within my budget.  It doesn't matter if a host greets me as long as it's easy for me to get inside of the space.  I don't prefer Superhosts over other hosts.  However, I do need to get a sense that the host is competent during our pre-booking communication.  I do prefer for the host to be onsite or that there is a co-host nearby.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Laura2592  I put in my dates and number of people. If I travel with my family, I usually have a minimum number of bedrooms requirement and then I zoom into location. By the time I book I usually have a pretty solid idea of a precise area so I zoom in like @Anonymous . I look at pictures, particularly paying attention to a dining room table to make sure there is one. Part of a reason to get airbnb is to be able to have a breakfast or a simple dinner after a long day of being a tourist. Surprisingly, there are many places that do not have one. I am pretty cheap and every time I decide I would splurge if I find something that would be worth it but it either becomes too expensive or not worth it :). After that I read reviews. I often find something that would make a place a no, such as noise comments.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I wouldn't care about any food being provided, but good quality coffee and cream (not powdered chemicals or milk) would be appreciated.

And many of my guests, who often book home-shares, have told me that just a private room in a host-shared home is fine with them, they like that personal aspect, but a private bathroom is a must, as is being able to cook meals, not just have limited kitchen privileges.

Linda1213
Level 6
Vero Beach, FL

Self admitted house ho. I go for interesting/eclectic/authentic... a certain vibe which i can see immediately. I want to ‘feel’ the city/country i am in.  Area somewhat, but if it is seemingly great.... it can be further. An outdoor, or close to something cool to walk to ( water, parks, old neighborhoods) Great amenities, lighting, self check in and most def stand alone.

LBR
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

Location and budget kind of go without saying, I guess. If those things don't work, it doesn't matter how amazing the space is or what amenities are available.

Good reviews are important. I mostly stay with Superhosts, but not always, and I've had good experiences with non-Superhosts also. 

Beyond that, I look for somewhere that people have obviously put some thought into. Furnishings don't have to match or be perfect: I just want to know that the host cares about hosting and their guests' comfort. I don't book with professional hosts with multiple properties unless I'm in a bind and there's nothing else available. If the place is furnished with all the cheapest options available from Ikea, I know it's probably not going to be a fit. Things like bedrooms with no night tables, kitchens with junky dinnerware and cooking implements, and minimal pillows are all red flags to me. 

I always try and go for whole-home listings (if budget allows). Having a private space with a private bathroom and a coffee maker is always a big plus if not. I would never do a shared bathroom again after a previous experience with a fellow guest who hogged it for an hour and a half in the morning.

I'm often looking for something that's dog friendly and I wish there were more tools around filtering for that, because it's very difficult to find a listing that will fit my needs. I think it's odd that Airbnb totally neglects this area of the market.

I love self-check-in: not having to arrange a specific time to meet is very handy. 

If a host allows smoking inside, I would never book their space.

That's about it! I've stayed in a pretty wide variety of Airbnbs, and have enjoyed all but one of my experiences. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

If I'm staying in a city, rather than looking for a country retreat or similar, then location is really a top priority. It needs to be easy to get to the sights or whatever else I'm there to see/do but also I want some shops and eateries within walking distance, especially if I am travelling alone. I'd rather spend more on location and less on taxis!

Outdoor space is also high on the list, even if it's just a small balcony. I do pay attention to the design and furnishings and prefer to stay somewhere with a bit of wow factor, but it depends on the nature of the trip.  I'm going to be there a short while and plan to be out most of the time, it doesn't matter so much. It's more important that the place is clean, comfortable and functional.

Although at home I share bathrooms with my guests, I don't want to share one with other guests when I am travelling. Cleaning up after people is a necessary evil at home. I don't want to do it when I'm on holiday or travelling for work and I simply can't abide unhygienic bathrooms. I wouldn't expect to any serious cooking while I'm away, so kitchen facilities just need to have the basics.

I do pay attention to Superhost status and it helps to narrow down a search when there are lots of options. It's not the be all and end all though, but reviews are important.

I don't mind self check in if there are clear instructions. I don't mind a lot of house rules if they are sensible ones. I'm not keen on large cleaning fees or lots of additional fees for this or that.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Oh, and by wow factor, I meant somewhere that has been thoughtfully designed or has a lot of character rather than somewhere fancy with an infinity pool! You don't need to buy high end everything to get wow factor.

Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

It totally depends on the nature of the trip.

I haven't travelled much the last 4 years, but I did book my first Airbnb ever, as a guest, for a planned trip to the UK this past April (haha, just before the pandemic).

Since I was mainly going to be staying with friends and family, I only need two nights, close to an event I was attending.   So my criteria were proximity to the event via walking or transit, cost, since I wasn't going to be spending the majority of my time in the Airbnb, and I didn't need an entire place to myself, and clean and comfortable, with good reviews.  I don't look for food, since I'm Vegan, but morning coffee is nice.  I barely cook at home, so kitchen is a non-issue.  Non-smoking. Smoking, for me, is a definite deal-breaker. 

I ended up with a private room in a shared house, 5 stars, as it happened, with great reviews, although a fairly new host, so not a long history, and the host communicated well with me.   I wouldn't have been concerned with fewer than 5 stars, if the reviews were good.

I never did check the cancellation policy, but, as it turned out, it was flexible. But I was able to cancel via the hated ECP, since I booked before March 14th, but I did communicate with the host first, and she was pretty understanding about it.    I would book with her again, if I'm ever out that way.   

I did, also, buy travel insurance. You'd all be fascinated to know that it still hasn't paid me out for my cancelled trip, although I had CFAR.   The latest communication I received on 8/27/20 was that they "never got my completed cancellation claim form" which I emailed on April 8th, and received an automated receipt notice back. 

Looking at everyone's lists of requirements, I'm pretty sure none of you would book with me 😉

Ann783
Level 10
New York, NY

I usually travel with my teens. The more bedrooms the better. I prefer three. Two bathrooms are a must. If I'm visiting my extended family in London, I look for a place fairly near them or close to public transportation. I like two TVs and outdoor space - but those aren't deal breakers. I tend to use the filter for a Superhost. I don't like super fancy decor... but I like a space that looks like someone put some thought into guest comfort.

Maia29
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

Self check-in. very few rules, and flexible cancellation.

Anna9170
Level 10
Lloret de Mar, Spain

@Laura2592  
Usually, my vacation is very rare, once a year for about 3 days, and these days we go somewhere with a friend, without children, and I never book a vacation through Airbnb. 😂 
In these few days I want to feel like a guest, I don't want to strain whether I have read all the rules of the house, I don't want personal communication with the host, etc. And still think in the morning to wash the dishes, and suddenly I hurt the host with a towel that accidentally fell on the floor..
So Yes, I go to booking com and take a hotel or apartment with the necessary check-in time, and if possible, free cancellation of the reservation, suddenly plans change.
In housing, it is always important for me to have a balcony, terrace, even a small one, I love when there is an opportunity for an evening glass of wine in the air, or morning coffee..😋
The kitchen is also not so important to me, because in these couple of days in a new place, of course, we go to cafes, bars and restaurants. All I really care about is having a refrigerator so I can cool water or champagne, a coffee maker, and a couple of cups and glasses.
The design of course pleases if it is interesting, but I no longer take risks, because often the style of the old era in reality is just a very old and dirty place. That's why I'll choose a place where you can see from the photos that everything is clean. 

Location is of course important, I never rent a car, so only the city center.