House Rules Enforcement Results in Bad Reviews

Timothy420
Level 3
Copperas Cove, TX

House Rules Enforcement Results in Bad Reviews

Has anyone found that guests needing to be continually reminded of the house rules (because they continually break them) tend to leave the worst reviews? Has anyone found a better way to handle these situations? 

Context: 

I've been a host for 3 years but just recently created 2 listings that share a bathroom. The #1 rule is to keep the bathroom clean and free of all personal items (hygiene/bath products, towels, toothbrushes, makeup, etc.). A shower caddy is provided to both rooms to tote/store these items in their personal space. I've sent numerous messages, this rule is clearly stated on my listing, and I even have a sign in the bathroom that states this. Twice now I've had to bag up the items and give them to them due to complaints from other guests. 

What am I missing here, and how can I address it such that it doesn't ruin the guest's experience and earn me a bad review? 

4 Replies 4

Hi @Timothy420 

Definitely a challenge to address. You have it in your House Rules (which no one reads...sigh), and also have a sign. Not sure what else you can do?

Maybe add a paragraph to your Welcome message after booking advising guests of the shared bathroom. Then add a paragraph to the check-in message that explains the shared bathroom scenario and how important it is to remove personal belongings from the bathroom as a courtesy to other guests. Mention you provide a tote to make this easier for them. Do you greet guests in person when checking in? Maybe mention it then when showing them around?

Maybe another Host who has a Home Share Listing with a shared bathroom may have another suggestion?

I didn’t mention it in my post here, but one of the automated messages that goes out addresses it too! It’s crazy. Today, I had to involve Airbnb support, and now the guest is very upset with me. She sent me a message saying things like “this is all so stupid”, “this is incredibly ridiculous”, “was it really necessary to involve Airbnb?” 🤦‍♂️ I’ve told her multiple times. Idk what else to do. 

Here’s what the automated message says:

Hey ”guest”! We hope you've settled in alright!

Just a quick reminder that your reservation includes a shared bathroom and living room. Here are some tips to ensure a great experience for everyone:

Both bathroom doors have locks. Please unlock both doors when you’re done so no one gets locked out.

If the bathroom is occupied, there’s a half bath available through the blue curtain downstairs and to the right. Feel free to use it!

Please keep your personal items in your personal space.

Please clean up after yourself in the bathroom. Flush, wipe down surfaces, and use aerosol spray if needed. Cleaning supplies are under the sink, along with extra toilet paper and paper towels.

I'll routinely check shared spaces for cleanliness and spot-clean as needed but please come to me directly if there are any issues. Sharing spaces can be challenging and having patience and respect makes it easier for everyone. Say hello if you cross paths, and maybe ask about their preferred thermostat setting!

Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay!

Best,
Tim

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Timothy420  I've always thought that listings in which two strangers share space are a real challenge. Sharing a bathroom is tough, even with a relative or friend! 

Have you thought about charging more and renting out just one room? I'm not kidding. The headache of playing enforcer is gone, and your guests may ultimately be happier. Just a thought. 

I have 2 rooms, a bath, and living room upstairs, and I have 4 listing options, and each have a different rate. 

1. Private room, shared bath

2. Private room, private access to shared bath (the bath has 2 doors)

3. Private room, private attached bath

4. 2 Private rooms, private bath

So yes! I started out with just option 3, but a long term homeless guest had to check out due to another reservation but still needed a place, so I went ahead and outfitted a spare room upstairs for her. She was aware going into it that the bathroom would be shared. She really hasn’t been the issue. It’s been other guests! Lol. She’s leaving on 7/6, and I figure with all the money I’ve spent outfitting the spare room, I might as well keep it listed. This has sort of been a trial run up to now, and the only real issue I’ve ran into is this one single house rule - keep your crap in your private space haha.