How would you handle this strange ENQUIRY? [new host]

Answered!
Bes175
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

How would you handle this strange ENQUIRY? [new host]

Normally wont publish a 'private message' just (a) sounds like Junk/ sent to many and (b) I did erase details.  As a new host I Just learned diff between booking, enquires, timing, how to reply; however this sound so odd and 'what is the solution'?

1. Person writes. 2. Probably will bring a friend [or maybe not, he isnt sure, 1st paragraph] 3. Wants comms outside Airbnb 4. Different prices than listed. / once I do all that & he'll bring 'home made cooking/ 5. asks Help with football tickets., detailed dates/games.

I know comms outside Airbnb are frowned upon. As is 'cash at hand' or payments outside the platform. I was thinking this is Junk Mail, or is he trying it on many others. Has he even seen my Listing? Main photo and all others,  clearly shows 2 Single Beds, not double-bed as he states, asking me to replace it with single/s.

Has anyone had similar issue, dealt with this person or request as STRANGE as this? Airbnb flagged this and CLOSED the message field. I can't reply to HIM. Now I have only 3 choices; pre-approve, special offer and decline. I can' t do first 2 for obvious reasons. I cant DECLINE, might affect me.

Airbnb notice at the end says:
- Tell Us if there is a PROBLEM.

I did. It was 1-2 clicks only.

Still same airbnb message.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO IN A CASE LIKE THIS?

When 24h expires and [IF] Airbnb algorithm or people wont take action to mark it as fraudulent message, would it affect me? If i could write back, I will reply: No. But i cant write back and his Enquiry is still active. He has no photo, only 1 positive review.

**[Private conversation removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

PS

Apologies to community moderators,

if i'm breaking any of the platform's rules

[tried to wash out identifying details]

Just puzzled on what is the SOLUTION.

1 Best Answer
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Bes175 

This is an inquiry.

You have to do nothing, as you mentioned Airbnb already closed the message thread after you reported the issue.

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Bes175 

This is an inquiry.

You have to do nothing, as you mentioned Airbnb already closed the message thread after you reported the issue.

Bes175
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Thanks Emiel - they close the threat BEFORE i reported the issue. WHEN i WROTE here 1st time, I had not reported it [I thought clicking on airbnb notice/ yellow bubble - automatically reports it] thought did Flag the message later. It had to be done this way, As i discovered on other topics.

Now Airbnb [who flagged n blocked that person] is asking me to reply. I have 2 messages from THEM. 1 on the phone, 'dont lose RESPONSE rate inside 13h' and one on Inbox ith two choices HigHlighted in RED:

Pre-approve

DECLINE.

Concern being, I read here few people who pressed DECLINE [for several reasons, and even RIGHT ONE] and they were penalised for it. [few were even banned] 

@Bes175 Airbnb probably removed the guest prior to your report because they were doing similar things to other hosts. I wouldn't worry about it other than to keep an eye on your response stats to make sure not being able to respond counts against you.

Thank you @Mike-And-Jane0 

I made a new post, where I try to explain better my confusion, also my concerns for self & others - what's the right way to deal with these types of situations...

Title:

Why a Blocked message (fraudulent one - as flagged by Airbnb) has Power to affect Our Response Rates?

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Welcome-guests/Why-a-Blocked-message-fraudulent-one-as-flagged-b...

rgds,

B

Bes175
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

THIS IS NOT SOLVED - Yet

[I wasn't clear y.day as I didnt understand technicalities]

1. The person wrote, Airbnb right-away flagged message.

2. I couldnt reply to the Message, and wrongly though clicking on Explanatory Notice [Be careful with this Inquiry] I did trigger a Notice to Airbnb.

3. In reality - I found later I had to go to the Message,

CLICK 3 dots on top-right, then click Options,

Explain in few words [he wants Comms outside airbnb, offsr payment outside of platform etc]

Here I thought was Done - but turns out again is not complete.

4. This morning 7.30 Airbnb TEXTS me:

Reply to this message to MAINTAIN Response rate <13hours.

I CANT REPLY TO HIM.

AIRBNB Closed this possibility.

All I can do is press DECLINE.

If I press DECLINE would it affect me?

Logically won't make sense,

AIRBNB Flags his message as AGAINST RULES,

I did NOTIFY them last night,

Now still  I am asked to REPLY - to what??

I read here people who DECLINED and were penalised for it later, even if they are right. SHALL i PRESS -Decline or wait for Airbnb to realise - on a clear fraudulent message IT SHOULD be them who Act [they flagged it 1st/ I also reported it] and Not us, and risk loss or ranking, delays in reply [as average etc]

What would you do?

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Bes175 

This is an issue with Airbnb's system and it's not ideal. While it's usually a bad idea to decline an enquiry because it will affect your acceptance rate unnecessarily, the response rate is important and, yes, will go down if you do not reply within 24 hours.

In theory, if Airbnb has flagged a message and asked you to report it, which you did, then that inquiry should simply be closed with nothing left for you to do and the clock stops ticking. However, I do not think that's how it works unfortunately, hence why you got a reminder to respond.

I haven't had the exact same situation, but I had a booking request that was flagged by Airbnb. At the same time, I knew that this was from the same girl I declined earlier who was now trying to book using a different, fake profile. 

I called CS and asked what to do, because I didn't want my acceptance rate to suffer. The rep told me not to worry, I should just report and block the guest and that I would not be penalised. So, I did that, but the request was still showing as active and the clock ticking. I went back to the rep who then informed me she had made a mistake and that I did have to decline it and yes, my acceptance rate would go down, and there was nothing to be done about it.

So, you are stuck between a rock and a hard place. I would maybe try speaking to CS, explain what happened, that you can't respond and you don't want your response rate to go down, and ask if there is any way they can remove this enquiry themselves.

Bes175
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Huma0 

If forum rules will allow it & if you wont mind, I'd like to take this reply and c/paste on a new topic I just opened, titled: Why a Blocked message (fraudulent one, as flagged by Airbnb) has Power to affect Our Response Rates?

[ref to same case but after I pressed DECLINE button]

New Airbnb members/ hosts [like me] will also see it there & learn about this discrepancy that you so precisely and in a v. didactic way explain:  theory/ practice, articles and rules we read - vs - problematic / fraudulent guests; how it goes in real terms - in same cases. 

Thanks @ Huma0, as always giving some of the BEST replies in this community forum, that, I  & others find v.helpful and easy to understand.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Bes175 

Sorry, I was at meetings this afternoon, so just saw this. No problem at all if you want to post my comment elsewhere.