I Got This Message From Potential Booking Inquiry Potential Scam?

Answered!
Walter587
Level 1
Apple Valley, UT

I Got This Message From Potential Booking Inquiry Potential Scam?

The message content is in quotes.

"My fiancé is here for business. We love your place and will soon be joining him with our daughter and family, but we have a few questions."

:Is there laundry in the home? On the pictures, I can't see it."

"Are roads OK to travel in night?"

"Please provide me your phone number in the following format: $$404$$865$$1471, and I'll call you to talk."

I suspect this is a scam, but I am not sure.  Asking for a phone number in an unusual format is weird.  Can anyone comment?

**[Phone number hidden due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

1 Best Answer
Samantha1148
Level 2
Scottsdale, AZ

I received this exact same inquiry on VRBO yesterday, suspected it was a scam. Thanks all for confirming. I will report to VRBO.

View Best Answer in original post

42 Replies 42
Basha0
Level 10
Penngrove, CA

do not give your phone number. Only communicate on the platform until they are actually booked 

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

Walter587, do not give them your phone number in that format and clarify who is actually booking and who it is for , how many people , etcetera. makes no sense currently . if her 'fiancee is 'there' then whats his name because you do not seem to have a booking from him and the bookee can communicate not the so called bookees so called fiancee and love child and her other kids and his mothers fathers goat. ?   Dont hold your breathe ...... H

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Walter587   sounds like a scam and ANYONE asking for you to call esp. with a code of letters or numbers is doing something WRONG. Even through Airbnb they know you have can't send phone numbers - as that is against TOS terms of service. Everything on platform, that means on the Airbnb app. When they suggest you do otherwise. Drop them and flag them and stop communication. If they are persistent contact Airbnb.

Seems to me these last years since covid - communication has become much more strange, difficult and confusing. Seems people struggle to say what they mean to say. 

Here's how I read their message until they asked you to call with the bizarre phone thing!

The husband is working in your town and the family is joining him soon and want to stay in your place and want to check a few things....that's kinda the underlying message, BUT then its clear if that were real, people don't want to pay service fees/taxes and will try anything to book off platform. Booking off platform is against all policies, TOS - and it is stealing from Airbnb. And if you or any of us do it we should be shut down. Airbnb is how these folks see our places and how can anyone feel it is OK to just cut them out when they put our listing out there for everyone to see. 

So I'd call it a scam and have no part in dealing with these kind of people. 

Glad you asked so others can also learn.

Happy Hosting, Clara@116

@Walter587  one more thing.....the message is from someone from another country. Read out loud exactly what they write.....all the words omitted are 100% a mistake people from other countries make. Don't fill in the words they leave out....Read it OUTLOUD! Its a dead giveaway as is said.

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

@Walter587  LOL - I got the exact same message this morning!

I was pretty sure it was a scam, but decided to answer anyway, you never know.

What tipped me off was that my laundry center is clearly visible in one of my photos. Even if it isn’t a scam, I’m not sure about hosting someone with such poor investigative skills. 🙂

I pointed out the photo, said the roads were fine, and thanked them for their inquiry. 30 seconds of my time, I figure.

I think since I didn’t leave the requested number, they won’t be messaging me further, although I do hear of cases where scammers keep asking questions after the first go-around. I will block the scammer if I’m contacted again.

We just got this same exact (word for word) inquiry from VRBO for our cabin in Blue Ridge. The formatting of the phone number is obviously for machine reading. Smells like a scam to me

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Corey245 @Pat271 @Walter587 ,

Did you eventually take in the request? How did that booking request go?

Asking for a phone number like this truly sounds fishy!

As @Basha0 has correctly mentioned, it is important to keep yourself safe and keep all communication within Airbnb or related platforms.

Can’t find what you’re searching for? start a conversation

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

@Bhumika , thanks for asking.

Nope, never heard back from this (alleged) guest. I am getting several similar requests, though. I answer their questions all positively for what they are asking, and then never hear from them again. 

I suppose these could be casual window shoppers, but I doubt it.

Tal6487
Level 1
Grass Valley, CA

We just got the exact same request

Paule-Et-Sylvain0
Level 1
Rosemère, Canada

He did the same with us on VRBO

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

It's a scam don't waste your time. Report to Airbnb and move on 🙂 @Walter587 

Jennifer3730
Level 1
St Leonard, MD

Just got this message on the VrbO platform on our new listing. I did refuse to give my number but did reply yes we have laundry (duh there’s a picture). 

Glad y’all posted this when I googled the number. 

Lee4698
Level 1
Atlanta, GA

I have gotten that same request word for word on VRBO.  Every inquiry I have gotten on VRBO has been from a scammer.  I have my place listed on AirBNB and VRBO and so far nothing but scammers from VRBO. 

Thanks for posting it!! I just got the exact same thing on VRBO!!