I have been traveling for decades with my husband so - since I lost him, I am now trying to interest friends in my adventures.

I have been traveling for decades with my husband so - since I lost him, I am now trying to interest friends in my adventures.

Today most people, especially seniors, have difficulty paying bills in lump sums.  I understand, you see I paid for the first payment by credit card.  For my friend handing me cash for her portion is extremely difficult.  Making payments to a friend is quite uncomfortable and should not be an excuse for this fun filled trip to cause any tension between us before we go and not certainly on the trip.  She is more than willing to pay her portion to you by credit card.  The hostess of this property has no difficulty agreeing to this.  She was willing to pause before any initial payment.  I told her that I was grateful for her sweet intention that we wait but, I was proceeding  with the first portion of a spllt payment since this reservation was so prescious to us, due to a lot of reasons, we must go ahead. 

This is my first time using Airbnb or any vacation rental service,  I'm not sure this is right for me.  At least in a hotel, I pay for certain dates and my companion would pay for others..  Could we possibly allow my friend to pay a portion of the second payment & bill me for remaining balance? This I could forward to you immediately after.

2 Replies 2
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Mary-Beth43 , welcome to the community and it’s great to have you here! 🎉

I’m really sorry to hear about your loss, sending you my love and condolences. It’s really lovely to see that you want to continue exploring the world with your friends. I like to think that we can honour our loved ones by doing the things that they also enjoyed! It’s really heart-warming and inspiring to see that you want to continue your adventures 🌍 . If I may ask, where are you planning to go? 

We understand that making split payments with your friend would be more manageable for you both. But I wanted to share an Airbnb article that states " Unless you have Airbnb credits or a coupon to use, you can’t split the total cost of your Airbnb stay or experience across multiple payment methods – in other words, you can’t pay using two different credit cards." 

However, I’d highly recommend you to reaching out to our support team directly through this link HERE to discuss this. They can possibly help you by sharing general possibilities on what can be effectively done in such cases. 

We really hope that your stay is a memorable and enjoyable one. Please do keep us updated and let us know how you get on.

Wishing you the very best 🌻

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Mary-Beth43 @Bhumika 

Welcome to the forums. I"m a host and often get questions about payments. 

First all payments are between the guest and Airbnb. Host don't see any information about guest payments to Airbnb. Host don't know if a guest paid in full at the time of the reservation or if they choose to pay in increments. Host are paid directly from Airbnb. Host also don't have any of the guest payment information.

The only way I could see some kind of split payment would be for you to book half the nights, and your friend book the second half. They would both be two separate reservations. The host would only need to agree to wave the cleaning fee. All the other fees and taxes would be the exact same.

First your friend would need to have an Airbnb account. The host can send a "special offer" for her nights minus the cleaning fee.  The host would just lower the total amount by the price of the cleaning fee. If you have already made the reservation the host can send a reservation alteration to shorten your your reservation. The host could also lower yours by 1/2 the cleaning fee and only charge 1/2 cleaning fee to your friend. You would both accept the reservation or reservation alteration. The cleaning fee will still be itemized but the host would have lowered the total rate by 1/2 cleaning fee for each.