I just had an instant booking with a 3.5 and the review is terrible from the last host. Can I cancel this guest without penalty? If not, what should I do?

Amber979
Level 1
Atlanta, GA

I just had an instant booking with a 3.5 and the review is terrible from the last host. Can I cancel this guest without penalty? If not, what should I do?

I just received an instant booking and the guest has one horrible review and I am very concerned about my home. What can I do here?

5 Replies 5
Amber979
Level 1
Atlanta, GA

I was considering leaving a friendly message expressing my concerns but hoping this time around he would take great care and that I would love to leave him a 5 star but that I need his word that he is going to take care of the home. 

Greg2406
Level 10
Rockport, TX

@Amber979 

Highly recommend that you turn off instant booking.   No friendly message is necessary in this instance, cancel the booking and contact C.S. to let them know that the perspective guest had a very bad review and that you are not willing to take 'a chance' with the guest.   

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Amber979 ring customer support and ask for a no penalty cancellation because his previous reviews suggest he well break your house rules. It should work but do let us know if it does.

Zheng49
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

You get 3 chances per calendar year to cancel bookings made with instant-booking penalty free for a valid reason. You can also try speaking to support ambassador and have them cancel for you.

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/2022

3.5/5 is pretty low, so I probably wouldn't risk it, and just get it cancelled. Ofcourse, it's hard to say decisively without seeing the review. 

Zheng49_0-1729530577529.png

Joelle43
Top Contributor
Cannes, France

Hello @Amber979 

On your IB setting, have you enabled the "good track button"?

Good track record
Only allow guests who have stayed on Airbnb without incidents or negative reviews. 

Knowing that Guests reviews are rounded up rather than down like with Hosts, this 3.5 guest doesn't sound great.  It takes a lot for a guests star review to be brought down so tread carefully.

Let us know!
All the best
Joëlle