I'm so happy i am not a superhost no more lol

Answered!
Claudia406
Level 7
Rome, Italy

I'm so happy i am not a superhost no more lol

I have been a superhost since when i started, 2 years or so, and i recently lost it , not for some reviews but because i did a sequence of cancellations, and well, i feel so relieved.

Being a superhost means people expect a lot from you and your place, means they think they will ask for things not listed out of the fact you're never gonna say no, it's a dog eat dog thing.

My kitchen is not listed but hey if i say no they'll never give me 5 stars cause i said no to that...so you'll say yes and you'll hate your guts lol for doing it cause your kitchen is NOT listed!

Anyway...glad to be not a superhost anymore.

Now if the lights goes off or ac is not working or the wall is scratched I won't feel like I'm a falsario and if people get noisy i will be able to say something. I feel like everyone is much more mature now, generally speaking, plus there are really no diff between the service given to host and superhost.

I right now have a guest who had just 5 stars...yeah, sure. never remember to turn off anything, stays in the shared bathroom for ever and didn't read ANYTHING of the description, she was prolly a pain the ass for other hosts too but that's what wanting a good review does to you.

1 Best Answer
Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Claudia406 

Welcome to the club. There is  huge demand in the for just "plain-old-good bedroom" listings.

Many guests view Airbnb as a cheaper alternative to hotels and as adults understand the trade-off between price and service.  I actively try to market to adults who can take care of themselves. 

It matches my hosting and travel style. 

View Best Answer in original post

34 Replies 34
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Claudia406 

I agree.

I was Superhost too, much more hosting pleasure not to be one anymore !

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Claudia406 

that's the spirit! When life gives you a lemon you make a lemonade 🙂

But one correction - I don't think most guests even notice or know what super host is. I didn't see any increase in bookings when I become one and couldn't raise my prices either.

@Branka-and-Silvia0 and there's the problem.  I did raise my prices and get more bookings but think it had more to do with the busy season coming up so I don't count on it to make a difference in the slow season - e.g. won't do me any good.  However,  I have had some guests who are aware who have used it against me - "I know you want to keep Superhost...".  I think there's some truth to it causing increased expectations and some guests feeling they have some power because they are aware of ratings and such.  I had to tell a recent guest that he couldn't check in 3 hours early and his reply was "oh, I thought because you were a superhost".  It irks me because I don't think the benefits outweigh the extra trouble.  There have been a few times that it did help when I had to call CS, so that may be the best perk.  

I agree with @ Branka & Silvia. 

I can confirm that the majority of the guests do not know what superhost is.

However, I have to add (based on my experience) that some guests book with superhost because they want to have a good experience, it is not because they want to take advantage of them.

I do not fear saying NO to any guest if I think they want to take advantage of me.

If a bad guest or a guest that wants to take advantage of me can write a bad review, I can do too!

I think most of guests are  just willing to have a good stay.

In this crazy world where we live, if one behave like a prey, one will be seen like a prey by the predators.
A superhost is not a prey. It is one that are supposed to offer a good stay and to deal successfully with any type of guest, being them normal (the majority are normal or great guests) or bad guests.
However, I must admit that sometimes it is very tiring. 

Right on attitude and totally respect where your coming from but one large perk of the superhost is getting much better placement on the feed. I also noticed a faster response on the support side. But if you are happy then thats all that matters right?

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Claudia406 

If all Superhosts had your freedom, just imagine how high the service would fly!

You sound really happy with your regained control, don't lose it by being good!  🙂

Kira32
Level 10
Canary Islands, Spain

Stay you♡

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Claudia406 

Welcome to the club. There is  huge demand in the for just "plain-old-good bedroom" listings.

Many guests view Airbnb as a cheaper alternative to hotels and as adults understand the trade-off between price and service.  I actively try to market to adults who can take care of themselves. 

It matches my hosting and travel style. 

this is exactly my point of view.word for word

Lan1
Level 10
El Cerrito, CA

I tried hard to be super host, but with multiple listings, thousands of different guests, hundreds of reviews, I always got messed up ultimately by one or two refund seekers, high expectationers, or lifetime complainers. I have to give up. The star pattern is: five, five, five, five, five, five, five....two, three, you got warning, lists needs attention, then five, five, five, five, five,  five, five, five, bum one, or four again you got warning....

周蘭

I've noticed the same problem. The threes and fours really bum me out because most people seem to like my space, but it's hard to really feel like it's their problem and not yours.

im litler sad. people want cheap places but when arrive thay want a palace. they dont read the description. i recived 4 stars because he thinks there i need more apliances in the kitchen, makes me feel sad because i give him a special offert for the entire house . i recive a nother 4 star because she complained about a cleaning products . this was very fustrate to me. i put a lot off work .  things hapens.

Marko74
Level 2
Petrovac, Montenegro

@Claudia406 don't mind me saying, but I would say you are not a PRO in this business. 

I was a super host also, recently lost that status, because of not enough reviews (I need 10 for a year if I am not mistaken, I got 6 this year, other booking sites fill my accommodation much faster/better, airbnb simply cannot catch up with them but I appreciate each booking, so I continued with Airbnb)

but I was not under additional pressure when I earned the super host status, I continued to offer the same service as before and now when I've lost it, I do my business the same!

And that is: improve my accommodation each year, add extra services if possible, add extra facilities if possible (my accommodation is already very well equipped so I say "if possible") and I do all that NOT because of the super host status or to get a good review, it's simply how I do my business,

now and earlier, before the AirBnb and other OTAs.

So my point is, I do this professionally (not a hobby),

trying to do it the best I can and to improve it each year,

and the reviews and grades come naturally. 

(super host till recently here and 9.4 score out of 10 at another rental website)

P.S.

I'll give you just a small example from today... 

Let me first say that I rent a summer holiday rentals, peak season now, 

but today we had rain and bad weather. 

One of my guests (family with 2 kids, we are a family resort mainly) asked me do I 

have some monopoly or some other family game maybe,

so they would not stare at the TV the whole day. 

Unfortunately I didn't have it, but she gave me an excellent idea!

Each summer, there are some rainy periods, it's inevitable.

I will get some board games, cards, etc, 

so when there is some rainy day, I will knock at my guests door

with a choice of some family games so the rainy day will pass quicker. 🙂

Already checked ebay/ali,

so this is an 50-70€ investment (for a bunch of card/board games),

and it will impress a lot of guests I am sure. 

So the main advice would be,

LISTEN to your guests and get what they ask you for 😉

I keep games, stuffed animals, toys in the room that I rent.  I've had at least two sets of guests ask me if they were staying in someone's actual room. To which I reply no, as I have those things for guests that travel with children.  I have to be prepared for all guests not just adults.  Some people think it's all about them and they should have the room adjusted to their tastes.  Too bad.