Is anyone else starting to greet guests in person?

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Is anyone else starting to greet guests in person?

For those of you hosting and used to greet guests in person in the past, have you started doing it again? I tried to greet guests in person as much as possible before the pandemic even though I have key pad locks both to check IDs and to show around. I greeted a guest face to face for the first time since last March. It felt good to make a connection.

12 Replies 12
Benjamin836
Level 3
San Juan, TX

I never greeted guests since becoming an Airbnb host. I usually meet my guests in case they have questions or concerns. On long term stays I usually check with them personally on their time. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Inna22  Yes, I greeted the last guests in person and did the brief neighborhood drive around that we used to offer, wearing masks and w/the windows open.  It was nice to meet and make a little personal connection, of course that didn't stop them from checking out 2.5 hours late!!  I think we'll do it on a case by case basis, but maybe not doing it for everyone as we did in the past.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Inna22 

I have never stopped greeting guests in person, I do it for every guest. I find that walking them through the property gets rid of a lot of headaches in that I show them how everything works and explain it's limitations.

I tell them they get 12 minutes of mains pressure hot water before it starts to run cooler.

I tell them the airconditioning only works in the temperature range of 20-24.

I show them where the light switch is for the kitchenette countertop, which is battery run.

I tell them if they don't pull the retractable cord all the way out, the hair dryer will not operate.

I show them how the bed goes up and down and the various switching functions in it.

I show them how to work the safe.

I show them how to switch between TV, DVD, USB.

I introduce the dog to them so they can see how friendly she is.

I lastly tell them if there is anything else they want just let me know.

When I walk out of the cottage I am almost certain I won't get a call asking how something works, or doesn't, it's sort of an insurance.

During our times of Covid restrictions I would wear a mask as I walked them through, but I never miss welcoming them. 

I try not to leave anything to chance, and I think it pays dividends, cuts out a lot of hassles.

Cheers.......Rob

@Helen744

Hi Rob , like  you we always greet guests to show them things that may be unfamilar. Nothing to do with privacy but to do with "settling people in ". as you say this prevents problems with things like hot water needing an extra fifteen mins to heat up after someone has had a long shower.We also check that everyone has a brief run down of the neighbourhood and which directions supermarkets are in and takeaway food and major attractions . Where to buy food and or eat out is a big priority for everyone .Nothing worse than not knowing where food of your choice is .First thing we show is the bathroom because often folk need it after a long car trip .We move away and let them roam the house as it were. Children often start choosing beds .We then let them know that they have the key and are on their own except we are just at the end of the phone and a few streets away.Sometimes we get a call not often because everything is checked and maintained in between times.We do not have a lot of the "types " of guests who need "privacy " upon arrival. Our guests know before they book that they will be greeted . We actually "host ".

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Helen744 

Helen, the last thing I want to do is be 'in the guests face', but we all host in different ways.

It will be obvious in the booking process which hosts will be on the property on arrival and which ones won't. Guests will either be given check-in instructions, or they will be met......so incoming guests know what to expect!

If they want total privacy and anonymity, they won't book a listing like mine. Most guests who stay here say they booked because of the lovely homely nature of the past reviews, and they have an expectation when they arrive, that tradition will be ongoing! 

I enjoy cooking, and quite often guests who are here for a few days will share a meal with us, but I stress upon them not to make any mention of a meal in the review process. If one guest mentions the meal, the next guest will have an expectation that a meal will be offered, and if it is not, the effect on the stay will be negative. These are situations that evolve with the individual stay.....they are not an advertised part of it!

There is no right way or wrong way when dealing with guest arrival, we are all different and will approach it in different ways.

The important thing is that the guests expectations were met!

Cheers........Rob

Maia29
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

As a host, I don't personally greet guests.

My gu3est's privacy is #1 and I want my guests to feel at home and not have to worry about over-bearing hosts.

t's their space, their time, and I don't want to infringe on their privacy. 

@Maia29 I offer them a choice. My houses are big so many details are worth pointing out vs them trying to find the thermostat. I leave after a 10 minute walk through 

Gregory87
Level 10
Minneapolis, MN

@Inna22 :  We've resumed greeting guests if we're around when they arrive.  It is nice to put names with faces and provide any welcome information about the rental and the community.  [Also, it is a quick way to determine if the number of guests booked are staying.]

If the guests approach wearing a mask, we do the same.  Otherwise, we reassure them that we're vaccinated and they often do the same.

While we want to provide the guests with a level of privacy, it is also important that they know we care about their comfort and appreciate their patronage.  They should feel free to contact us with any questions or concerns during their visit.

Hopefully, this is the case!

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

hello @Inna22 

Yes I still greet Guests face to Face for my listing, alas it is a Private Room.

Only one Guest turned up with a Mask on but that's because they had arrived from overseas and had a stint in Managed Quarantine here, they quickly removed it and reached out for a much needed hug as had not so much as left the room they were in - they quickly embraced their freedoms during and post stay!!

Funnily all my Guests have reached out and offered a Hug as they arrive and not been fussed about Social Distancing.

Life here in New Zealand is very much how it was before Covid lockdowns when it comes to those interactions.

Best to move on with our precious lives before they are over and we are pushing up Daisies.

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Inna22 yes I greet my guests and have done from the beginning and like @Robin4 and @Gregory87 I like to show my guests through our cottage as I find that it prevents any issues (so far). I am able to put a name to a face.

I do feel we still have to apply precautions and preventions for our safety and safety to others.

It is coincidental that @Helen427  mentioned hugs. My guest last week gave me a hug as they were leaving. I think this covid bug is affecting some, as they haven't been able to be with there families. In Australia different states have had lockdowns at different times and at the moment the Delta covid bug is starting to get active a little too active. I am waiting for my 2nd innoculation (soon)which we all know is the best defence. 

Flavia202
Level 10
Kingston, Jamaica

@Inna22 I've always greeted guests face to face. I still wear a mask even though I'm fully vaccinated. Haven't had any bookings thru airbnb since last December but have been getting local out-of towners and int'l bookings thru personal contacts. I like the face-to-face interaction which gives me the opportunity to show the guests around the apartment and around the property (common areas) as well as to answer any questions they may have. I usually don't hear from them again during their stay until when it's near time to check them out.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Inna22,

For the past 17 months, we really haven't had any opportunity to host at our guesthouse, but do have a reservation scheduled for July 23.  I work remotely full-time at my job, and if I can't greet the guests at check-in, will try to meet them early during their stay.  We are allowed to accept only fully vaccinated guests, and in St. Lucia wearing face masks and social distancing in shared indoor spaces and public places are still required.