Is it my fault and host fault?

Answered!
Yong-Gil0
Level 1
Seoul, South Korea

Is it my fault and host fault?

I had this issue recently from my AirBnB experience.

That I searched for "private bathroom" and I found and book it.

YongGil0_0-1682192000450.png

But in the description it says "it's shared"

YongGil0_1-1682192025574.png

In his words, sharing it with the host is considered as private.

"In regards to your booking & nightly rate, your reservation comes with a shared ensuite bath that is only accessible via your room and mine, which is the private aspect of it, given it is a jack and jill bathroom unit with private access only"

Am I not sane? I am not sure where his understanding comes from but at the same time I'd like to get opinions from others if it's my fault or his fault.

I mean,,, from my search result it popped up as it's categorised as private bathroom but the host argued it said "shared" in the desc.

Airbnb was on our side so I got the full refund,, but the host was still very mad about me saying that I am using AirBnB that he did nothing wrong.

Is it really my fault or his fault?

1 Best Answer
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

@Yong-Gil0 

Did you discover this shared bath situation before arrival?

Or did you arrive and then leave right away because of the shared bath situation?

Or did you stay and complain afterwards?

I think a full refund is a little severe, but it does matter which of the above occurred.

The host definitely needs to clarify the bathroom configuration and make it consistent throughout the listing.

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Yong-Gil0 its always important to read all the descriptors Yong. Hosts just tick boxes and in this case has ticked the wrong box . You are not insane , a mistake has been made. Its always a good idea to reach out before travelling and clarify any such issues as sometimes hosts make mistakes, but obviously the explanation of the hosts bathroom was available to you before booking. It is not private as in  'for you only ' as most of us accept the meaning and the host should change this,as that is as far as I know Airbnbs meaning also . An anomaly possibly exists in some other countries where indoor plumbing is a 'first world 'priviledge and then 'private bathroom 'could seriously mean a broad range of things.... H

I don't think he made a mistake.

He believes sharing it with the host is private.

I believe he doesn't understand the meaning of privacy in other most of the regions.

it was really confusing and the host was really mad....

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

@Yong-Gil0 

Did you discover this shared bath situation before arrival?

Or did you arrive and then leave right away because of the shared bath situation?

Or did you stay and complain afterwards?

I think a full refund is a little severe, but it does matter which of the above occurred.

The host definitely needs to clarify the bathroom configuration and make it consistent throughout the listing.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

This is the host's fault. It is clearly not a private bathroom if the host has access to it. This is a shared bathroom.

A private bathroom would be if no-one else in the listing has access to it.

You should only have been entitled to a full refund if on arrival you asked Airbnb to cancel the booking as the listing was not as described. (ie shared not private bathroom)

@Yong-Gil0 

I would be furious too if you decided to stay for the duration and then claimed a full refund.