Is this spam?

Adrian257
Level 2
Glasgow, United Kingdom

Is this spam?

Hi,

I've received a couple of enquiries recently from people saying they're interested in booking my room (with what seems like a copied and pasted generic message) but asking me to contact them via Whatsapp so they can ask some questions, providing their mobile number (in a combination of digits and spelled out numbers to evade censorship). I've relied saying I don't use other platforms and they can ask me anything via Airbnb. They haven't replied. I assume this is spam, but what are they trying to achieve?

Thanks,

Adrian

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Adrian257 definite scam. They will probably offer to book your place and not stay whereby you would then refund 50% of the rental to them. If they then pay with a stolen card they will get cash back from you at which point the card company will claim back the stolen cards money and you will be left out of pocket.

Do reply with either a comment or just a dot to maintain your response rate and then report the user to Airbnb.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

What @Mike-And-Jane0 have posted is quite possible however sometimes new Air BNB participants are just trying to use a more efficient (in their minds) system to find the best available fit.  I doubt Air BNB will do much with your report, but you could have a saved message that instructs the potential guest that all communication will be on the Air BNB message system and they should feel free to ask questions.  You don't have to spend a lot of time.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Most of those, if they don't propose something like the "I won't stay, but my company's paying, so we'll split the payment" scam in the initial message are trying to get you to make a booking off-platform so they can avoid the Airbnb fees.

@Adrian257

Adrian257
Level 2
Glasgow, United Kingdom

Thanks for all your kind advice.

Adrian