Lahaina fire economic impacts: Stop cancellations with full refunds in areas unaffected by fire

Cloe2
Level 2
Haiku-Pauwela, HI

Lahaina fire economic impacts: Stop cancellations with full refunds in areas unaffected by fire

Iʻve been working to convince Airbnb to update their Extenuating Circumstances policy coverage with how it relates to Maui. Currently, Airbnb grants full refunds for reservations up until Aug 29 and in all areas of Maui, and sometimes requests full refunds for dates long after this. Hosts on Maui know that this the policy is misinformed and cancellations are causing a lot of economic turmoil.

The support reps that we speak to don’t have the power to change the ECP, but they can send a letter to the correct team. They told me to encourage other local hosts to submit feedback to the Airbnb Community and Support.

I would suggest calling Airbnb Support; Start out by saying “I have questions about the EC policy.” Then give them context about the fires, the wave of cancellations, and widespread economic effects. Lāhainā is the only area that remains closed. All other areas of Maui are safe and travel is encouraged by state officials. State that your listing and area are safe to travel to, therefore the EC policy shouldn’t apply to your reservations.  

They will say they can’t do anything to change the policy, except write a letter to the team that manages the policy. They will take note of the proof and information you share. Provide pictures of your unaffected listing and links to the Gov & Mayor’s comments on Maui being open (included in comments).

Hopefully then, we can retain some reservations and save more money to keep in Maui’s local economy. The rest of Maui is Lāhaināʻs biggest support. The more business we do, the more we can donate to Lahaina; We can pay more $ in taxes (that goes to the state for housing); We can pay more to employees like cleaners/ handymen; Our guests spend more at local businesses; We make more in Airbnb service fees that go to Airbnb support ambassadors. 

Here are the links to the Governorʻs and Mayorʻs statements on tourism: 

Gov Green and Mayor Bissen on Aug 12: https://www.youtube.com/live/N3KTNDbRaA0?si=RcE75GxxVC7A6ruy&t=3788

Gov Green on Aug 18: https://www.facebook.com/GovernorHawaii/videos/665652548838671 

10 Replies 10
Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Cloe2 It has been mentioned that the Red cross and FEMA are paying up to 21 days for ' misplaced persons. I know it is difficult to live in a disaster zone but that seems to be the current reality. Good Luck.. H

The Red Cross stated they will not be putting displaced people up in airbnbs or vrbos

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Do you know why ? @Cloe2 Perhaps Airbnb rates are too high and as a charity they're trying to maximise their budget? 

American Red Cross Vice President for Disaster Operations Brad Kieserman: “Anyone who was a resident of the affected area of an uninhabitable home will be placed into a hotel room,” said Kieserman. “Not Airbnbs, not VRBO, but inspected, regulated facilities where survivors can be safe.” Red Cross is paying hotels more than their normal nightly rate ($1200+) to house displaced families so the hotels can stay in business. The budget for Airbnb shelters comes from Airbnb.org.

@Cloe2 , can you point me to a link regarding the $1200 per night?  I own and manage 2 vacation rentals in West Maui.  There may be issues returning to normal operations at Honua Kai because Outrigger committed a huge block of units to house displaced people.  Outrigger apparently did this without even asking the owners of the units and now those owners don't know if there are animals in their units, smoking, etc. and apparently Outrigger employees are telling the owners they "don't know" what rate is being paid.  It all seems fishy.  I also heard a rumor that KBM is getting a minimum of $700 per night from Red Cross or FEMA.  I signed up to offer my 2/2 for a fraction of that through Airbnb and have received no response and the badge that was supposed to appear on my listing never did appear.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

You are taking the right approach - education.

That dreaded EC policy specially post Covid was the #1 reason I started my own website and in time shifted 40% of my bookings to go direct. I have noted however, Airbnb are nowadays applying that policy much more carefully and judiciously, now I find myself encouraging guests to go via Airbnb exclusively since my fears have subsided, but still have nightmares about it. 🙄

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Cloe2 where natural disasters are concerned Airbnb usually ends up doing the right thing but it takes them a few days/a week to get there. Hopefully they will change their stance soon.

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Cloe2 look at @Patrick2795 remarks Cloe.. H

(Helen, did Patrick write his post with invisible ink and only you got to read it?) 😁

@Fred13 no Fred no invisible ink just concern for the poor folk of Hawaii,as was Patricks . We cant see everything. @Patricks2759  remarks were in the ' community cafe' which anyone can access but at the time had apparently not. This was then taken down while one of the moderators reshuffled a few things , as they do.We all react differently to disaster but  the rather 'odd idea ' that those who lost their homes can continue to stay where they are and not enter the areas where there was no fire is to me a 'shock reaction' This is a major disaster and will have ramifications affecting the whole of Hawaii for a long time.Displaced persons , being not the least of it but tourism will be affected and government and agencies like Red Cross and many others must step in . Life is changed ... Good Luck for all of those people, as well as everyone whose airbnbs burned down as I imagine covers a lot of people and accounts for a lot of the reason for current rulings. People have permanently lost all bookings and all income..Lets give them a thought... H