Latest Scam, and no help from AirBnB CS

Greg2406
Level 3
Rockport, TX

Latest Scam, and no help from AirBnB CS

We just received a request for booking at 11:26PM last night for a stay on 7/23 to 7/25.   We replied at 7:36, Perspective guest had wrong number of persons listed on request, which is red flag #2 (first one being a near midnight request).   Second red flag was that they hadn't provided a credit card form of payment at the time of the booking.   My restrictions are listed that full payment must be made at time of inquiry and before the request is sent to us.   Payment form must be on file with AirBnB prior to accepting the booking.   In this case, AirBnB did not require perspective guest to remit payment form and to top it off, is allowing, what we believe to be a scammer, to withhold payment for 24 hours and blocking any legitimate booking for this time, thereby causing me not to be able to rent the home to anyone else (due to short stay notice) and our turnaround on the 25th.    This is the second time this has happened in the last 30 days and is costing us substantial loss of funds.     Anyone else have this happen?    If so, why can't I cancel this scammer without incurring AirBnB issues and suspension?

3 Replies 3
Shelley159
Level 10
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Hi @Greg2406 

There are potential issues with last-minute bookings if payment is not fully processed before check-in. I recently had guests book very last-minute, and Airbnb only discovered that there was a problem with the credit card after they had already checked in. Fortunately they immediately paid with another card as soon as Airbnb made them aware of the problem.

What happened with the previous guest that you mention, who did something similar earlier this month? Did you receive payment in the end, or did they stay over without paying at all?

@Shelley159 

With the previous guest, she also listed wrong number of persons staying.  When I asked her to correct, she modified the number of guests from 2 to 4.   In a subsequent message, she modified it again to add one or two more.   I cancelled after I had accepted the second modification.    She knew exactly what she was doing in that for each guest over 3, we charge an extra (small) cleaning fee.   She intentionally withheld the number so that she decreased the payment.   As Hosts, we need to (1) Vet much better (see note below), (2) effectively get to review ALL guests making reservations prior to accepting them, (3) have a well drafted House Rules (one I have and will share with anyone). (4) Pressure AirBnB Corporate to make substantial changes that will ensure Host protection from scammers, hacks, and individuals that don't pay or follow house rules. 

Note:  I am writing a rather lengthy article on what I have learned in how to do Olympic Gold Medal level  vetting and how to read Red Flags.    and lean how to say "No thanks, but unfortunately we have to decline the request".    Done the last one several times and we are confident that it was the right thing to do.   

Greg and Nettie.

Nettie's Hideaway

100%  5-Star reviews - and we plan to keep it that way!

Rockport, Texas 

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Greg2406 

"My restrictions are listed that full payment must be made at time of inquiry and before the request is sent to us." 

That's requirement makes no sense. You have no control over guest payments. AirBnB has complete control. Full payment at time of inquiry and before request? I still don't understand. 

If you approve, the payment should go through. If you don't approve the request, it doesn't matter. 

AirBnB will not change the policy on 24 hour holds for payment. They will make money when the guest pays, and if the guest doesn't pay, they don't lose out, the host does. 

You can maintain some control over this by modifying your settings. If you require advance notice for bookings, you can untick the box that allows people to inquire or request to book. That should help. 

Basically, right now you have a requirement that doesn't work, because AirBnB's policy automatically overrides it. Getting upset won't change things. 

You CAN not accept the request, so why are you saying that you can't?  You can turn down a request to book. It's as simple as that. You've said in your response below that you're going to teach people how to say no and decline a request. So why don't you do that with this one?