Looking for a mentor

Answered!
Sophia553
Level 2
Olympia, WA

Looking for a mentor

Hello, 

My name is Sophia. I just started being a host of my house; Olympia, WA one month ago. I am not young and not good at all technology. I need an experience mentor. 

1 Best Answer
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Sophia553 You have 3 excellent reviews, your listing is well written and clear as to what the guests  will get. You really don't need to waste money on an experienced mentor. Just ask any questions you may have here and I am sure people will help.

I spotted one typo in your house rules (np rather than no) If that is your issue with technology then you have no issue with technology!

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Sophia553 You have 3 excellent reviews, your listing is well written and clear as to what the guests  will get. You really don't need to waste money on an experienced mentor. Just ask any questions you may have here and I am sure people will help.

I spotted one typo in your house rules (np rather than no) If that is your issue with technology then you have no issue with technology!

Thank you so much for your excellent advice. I deeply appreciated you put time into looking at my listing.

As you said there is no issue with my listing, then why I don't get many reservation even price is lower than other similar listings. Most houses near my area are pretty fully booked on Apr through Aug. I only have three teams on April. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I  need to be more patient??

@Sophia553 Any new host with only a few reviews may struggle against established listings with a good track record or reviews. Basically you are a higher risk for guest until you prove yourself (which you are doing judging on your reviews).

Can I just check how you are checking your pricing? Ideally you will be pretending you are a guest and then search in your region and compare the price of your place against others. This will show how you compare after all the fees and taxes are added to your nightly rate. Also check competitiveness for 3 night and 7 night stays.

After that patience is probably the best bet.

Thank you again!!I

I will try to be pretending a guest and then search in my region to compare the price do more diligently. And then see how it goes.

Martin3344
Level 7
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

@Sophia553 

When I first started out with each listing I deliberately pitched my prices quite low at the outset with each one to encourage some early bookings and build up a track record. This seemed to work well. Once you have become established with several reviews under your belt you can then start to get your pricing onto a more comparable footing with other properties in the area.

I wish you good luck and success with your hosting.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Sophia553A reminder, your opening shot should be a very good picture of your house (where guests are going to actually be staying) and then maybe an aerial shot of the home & lake (try not to show neighbors too much) and then 2 shots of the interior (kitchen & special room?). Remember the first 5 photos either causes browsers to either look further or move on.

Van9315
Level 1
Milpitas, CA

If you need help, you can DM me. Maybe I can help. Feel free to ask me any question in the DM. I started in 2015 and there was a lot of trial and error.