Need Help!

Kanit5
Level 1
Milngavie, United Kingdom

Need Help!

I am a student at DCU, Dublin, having a short term training for three months (15 September – 12 December 2022). I am looking for an entire apartment for 1 Dec.-12 Dec. before returning to my country. I am contacting you for assistance as I am due a refund from an Airbnb host, but he is refusing to pay it as he promised.

Here is summary of my experience:

1. On 26 Oct. in evening, I found this place costing Є1620 (1-12 Dec.) which was lower than the previous offer I had seen. I booked it without hesitation.
  2. Later, the host called me and forced me to accept the offer which actually cost Є2900 (for 3 people) because that price (Є1620) is for one person. He explained that if 3 people the cost will be higher.
  3. I refused to accept the offer and explained that I don’t know this price is just for one people. So, there will only me or just one people extra if the price is costly.
  4. The host changed the offer again and forced me to accept. The offer is for 2 peoples (+ Є638) total is Є2258 (approximately, I cannot remember the exact number).
  5. I hold the offer and say sorry if I didn’t check the details when I booked. I told the host that I will accept the last offer cost (+ Є638, total is Є2258 for 2 peoples) if my friends’ visa is approved. If not, I will stay alone at the first price Є1620 according for the first booking.
  6. On 27 Oct. he asked me to cancel because he said he doesn’t feel safe to host me. Here is the conversation (can see in the chat box of Airbnb)

Host: I won’t be able to hold the days for you for your visa. That’s not my concern. Just cancel this and I will issue you full refund. I don’t feel safe to host you.

Me: I am so sorry. What I can do for you?

Host: Just cancel it. You will get full refund.

Me: Alright, I will do. I do apologies again. Thank you very much.

Host: No problem. Good luck.

Me: What reason do you want me to select for cancellation? But is shows no refund.

Host: You just put you change your plan. Don’t worry I will issue you full refund.

Me: Ok. Thank you very much.

1. After I put cancel, Є60 came to my account immediately. I wait for a moment and asked host about the other (1620 - 60 = 1580). Host said just wait.
  2. In that evening, host text me via mobile phone said that “I spoke to Airbnb. Hopefully by Monday they will issue you the full amount”
  3. On Monday 31 Oct. there was nothing came to my account. So, I text to host via Airbnb chat box and phone “There is nothing coming to my account Or today is bank holiday. Just make sure everything will be fine” Host did not response at all.
  4. On Tuesday 1 Nov. I texted to host again and call, but no response. After that host text to me “I spoke to them. They will release the money one day after booking date then it will come to my account once it comes to my Account then I can refund back . At the moment the money is with them . So you have to wait until it release to my account and once I get that I will forward to you.”
  5. I am confused why Airbnb refund my money to host instead transferring directly through my credit card as normal process. I do not have bank account in Dublin, and I am going back my country on 12 Dec. Why Airbnb release the money after booking date. How can I book the new place if my money will not be refunded. I am not sure about this so I have to ask Airbnb whether the host has processed my refund or not and the method of refund why is different from the first time.
  6. I called Airbnb and question about my confusion. They said “I will call the host for investigation first” I asked Airbnb to check in chat box that are the conversation about this story.
  7. Later, host texted me via Airbnb chat box

“Airbnb would like to put penalty cancellation on me. I will advice Airbnb to do a partial refund.”

1. After that Airbnb sent me via chat box

“Thank you for your response and feedback. I so much appreciate it! I have gone ahead to process the partial refund your host agreed to. I know this is not the outcome you expected at the moment of your contact and am very sorry it happened this way. We are not allowed to overpass the host cancelation policy and can only refund what he approve. I have refunded you with €638.52 in addition to the previous €60 gotten when the reservation was initally canceled. While the refund is immediate from our end, it may take up to 15 business days to get to you depending on where you live and your payment method.”

Can you please advise:

1. What I can or should do next? How can I get my money back? As you see from the transcripts, I was promised a full refund, not a partial refund.
  2. I am questioning about Airbnb decision, and this can be called “fraud” on the reputation and trustworthy system of Airbnb or not? Note that the host agreed to a full refund, and it was he that asked me to cancel, not the other way around. It would seem that he is trying to punish me because Airbnb put a penalty cancellation on him.
  3. Where can I share this issue to someone else who can give me help?

3 Replies 3
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Kanit5 try to contact Airbnb again. When you do stick to the details of the promise to refund (ie don't confuse with all the early stuff on why you cancelled - or keep it short!)

If this doesn't work then there is no right of appeal with Airbnb other than mediation (expensive) or a small claims court case (simple). 

The small claims court case should succeed if you have all the proof of what the host promised

Good luck

Kanit5
Level 1

Thank you so much.

Kanit5
Level 1

I will take this case with the Small Claims court. Thank you again for your advice.