No to the new no guest photo policy

No to the new no guest photo policy

Hello fellow Hosts-

I have noticed Airbnb's policies increasingly moving towards guest's needs, and further away from the needs of hosts, especially hosts who prefer the security of personally screening people they invite into their home, verses hosts with Instant Book, who do not have as big a concern with safety. I have let many other changes go, but I feel that their newest no guest photo policy hits a new low, and for me, is totally unacceptable.

My home is not a public hotel. If guests do not want to show their faces and want to remain anonymous, they should stay in a hotel- there are plenty of those. Airbnb is supposed to offer a more personal alternative, where hosts as well as guests benefit mutually from honesty and trust. To cultivate this trust, there needs to be transparency on BOTH sides, and blocking photos does not inspire trust!

As hosts, we are extremely vulnerable- guests see our photo, photos of our homes, our neighborhood location, see our star ratings, reviews, and our cancellation history, yet as (non-instant book) hosts, we are not able to access any of these same basic qualities. I am not racist in any way, I accept all nationalities, from all over the world, but I am extremely concerned with personal safety. Airbnb has just removed one of the most important tools that I am able to use to help my intuition determine who I am willing to allow into my home.

I understand that Airbnb wants to be politically correct by encouraging non-discrimination. That is noble of them, but please do not do it at our expense. Do not deny hosts of this important basic tool. And not viewing a photo will not end discrimination! It just will make hosts more cautious and more discriminating, forcing us to base a decision whether to allow strangers into our homes even more narrowly- on the sex, for example, or a name, writing style, living location, or an unjust bad review. In my experience, there already is not enough information about most guests (especially if they have not completed a profile or do not have any reviews), but more often than not, a smiling face of their profile photo is enough to go ahead and trust that stranger. Now, without the thousand words a photo can convey, I will always decline a reservation if the person's communication lacks information that I ask for, has misspellings, or is otherwise less than ideal. We have that right as a host to decline any reservation, Airbnb's host rules makes that clear. Why remove an important tool that allows for more trust?! A trust that benefits guests as well, as they will be more likely to be accepted for a reservation request. Why punish all hosts, when going after the few specific hosts with a history of discrimination, would be much, much more appropriate?

And lastly, Airbnb's solution does not resolve the problem of racism in a fair way. Discrimination is a human flaw that does not just affect hosts- guests are just as able to discriminate against hosts! If implementing this new policy is a true effort to combat racism, Airbnb is actually discriminating against hosts by not imposing this same standard equally to all of us, hosts and guests alike!

I am a Superhost who has enjoyed the benefits of listing my guest room on Airbnb for many years, but by taking away this most basic and important tool, I am considering for the first time, the possibility of going with another rental option if this decision is not reversed. I wrote a lengthy letter in protest, submitted in the feedback section, and intend to send it daily until the new policy is reversed or imposed fairly to all. I told them that if they do not want to lose their hosts, that they should put an end to this ridiculous no guest photo policy, and restore full disclosure between both guests and hosts, which has brought great success to their platform- thus far. I encourage all who dislike this new policy to send their feedback as well!

164 Replies 164

I feel you I called today there solution is under house rules we require a photo for making reservation and turn off auto booking. I have been doing this for years but not being able to see person coming into my home before reservation is really over board everyone is so racially sensitive here in states that we get this. I will not let anyone rent my room until I see a photo if that means I get no reservations fine with me I would rather be alive to enjoy my home. Good luck to you my friend

The last sentence in your post really highlights Airbnb's attitude. If you no longer remain/use their platform they couldn't care less.

I agree totally.  We rent our apartment when we go to our country house.  It is our apartment (in New York Ciy) that we normally live in and that we rent out when we are not there.  We also have to respect our neighbors who do not want to be disturbed.  Until recently we have had wonderful guests. We communicated with them before they arrived. They told us about themselves, and we really enjoyed meeting them when they arrived.  We have been hosts since 2012.  Lately I have been getting these anonymous requests; people no longer leave bios; so you know nothing about them and have to ask.  Add that to not even having a photo and it becomes a rather anonymous transaction.  I don't want to discriminate, but it is my apartment and I have to be careful and be sure these are people who I want staying there. Yes, I agree, the photo is important and airbnb seems to be catering more to the guests than to the hosts.

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Michael-and-Jill0, I'm not aware of this new 'no photo' policy - could you expand on this? As far as I'm aware, guests have never been required to have a profile photo of their face. However, many hosts state in their listing that guests need to have a profile photo before their booking will be accepted.

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Michael-and-Jill0@Rebecca181, I've just found this in the Help section: 

profile photo.png

Is this really the new policy??? That is insane!!!

Check out the other threads @ Kathy.  There are thousands of comments from angry hosts.

Here is how you can bypass Airbnb's stupid police and view hidden profile photos: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/How-to-View-Hidden-Profile-Photos/m-p/919440#M228298

Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately it did not work for me...

Reply to a suggestion of viewing the guests profile in "igcognito mode", which, he said would allow us to see the photo if there was one.

This did not work for me. 

Claire475
Level 9
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg

I too am saddened to hear of such a policy. I believe it’s in the interests of all concerned for hosts and guests to be as open and transparent to each other as possible. I am sure guests would not feel comfortable if they were not able to see hosts profile picture before booking, why should the reverse be true. If the reason for this is that some hosts discriminate then deal with those hosts. People should be entitled to choose who they want staying in their home especially a shared home. While I am completely against racism, blocking guests photos and there by forcing hosts to accept guests they may not feel comfortable with, will not make for a pleasant stay for both host or guest. A different solution needs to be found. I use instant booking but respect the rights of those who choose not to, to conduct their “business” as they choose and take the consequences of that action. 

Marta445
Level 1
Toronto, Canada

I am not happy about this at all. I will require from my guests a photo it is for security reasons period.

This is a home not a hotel much more personal.Airbnb you blew this one I may have to go some where else.

In my experience, 90% of my guests think they can  treat my place as a hotel, this new policy only makes it easier for them to do so...

The irony here is before this new policy was implemented I actually had a guest show up and she looked nothing like the profile picture AND introduced herself with a different name than her profile. I seriously considered asking for a form of identification. I’m now rethinking and may ask to see IDs from all my guests.