No to the new no guest photo policy

No to the new no guest photo policy

Hello fellow Hosts-

I have noticed Airbnb's policies increasingly moving towards guest's needs, and further away from the needs of hosts, especially hosts who prefer the security of personally screening people they invite into their home, verses hosts with Instant Book, who do not have as big a concern with safety. I have let many other changes go, but I feel that their newest no guest photo policy hits a new low, and for me, is totally unacceptable.

My home is not a public hotel. If guests do not want to show their faces and want to remain anonymous, they should stay in a hotel- there are plenty of those. Airbnb is supposed to offer a more personal alternative, where hosts as well as guests benefit mutually from honesty and trust. To cultivate this trust, there needs to be transparency on BOTH sides, and blocking photos does not inspire trust!

As hosts, we are extremely vulnerable- guests see our photo, photos of our homes, our neighborhood location, see our star ratings, reviews, and our cancellation history, yet as (non-instant book) hosts, we are not able to access any of these same basic qualities. I am not racist in any way, I accept all nationalities, from all over the world, but I am extremely concerned with personal safety. Airbnb has just removed one of the most important tools that I am able to use to help my intuition determine who I am willing to allow into my home.

I understand that Airbnb wants to be politically correct by encouraging non-discrimination. That is noble of them, but please do not do it at our expense. Do not deny hosts of this important basic tool. And not viewing a photo will not end discrimination! It just will make hosts more cautious and more discriminating, forcing us to base a decision whether to allow strangers into our homes even more narrowly- on the sex, for example, or a name, writing style, living location, or an unjust bad review. In my experience, there already is not enough information about most guests (especially if they have not completed a profile or do not have any reviews), but more often than not, a smiling face of their profile photo is enough to go ahead and trust that stranger. Now, without the thousand words a photo can convey, I will always decline a reservation if the person's communication lacks information that I ask for, has misspellings, or is otherwise less than ideal. We have that right as a host to decline any reservation, Airbnb's host rules makes that clear. Why remove an important tool that allows for more trust?! A trust that benefits guests as well, as they will be more likely to be accepted for a reservation request. Why punish all hosts, when going after the few specific hosts with a history of discrimination, would be much, much more appropriate?

And lastly, Airbnb's solution does not resolve the problem of racism in a fair way. Discrimination is a human flaw that does not just affect hosts- guests are just as able to discriminate against hosts! If implementing this new policy is a true effort to combat racism, Airbnb is actually discriminating against hosts by not imposing this same standard equally to all of us, hosts and guests alike!

I am a Superhost who has enjoyed the benefits of listing my guest room on Airbnb for many years, but by taking away this most basic and important tool, I am considering for the first time, the possibility of going with another rental option if this decision is not reversed. I wrote a lengthy letter in protest, submitted in the feedback section, and intend to send it daily until the new policy is reversed or imposed fairly to all. I told them that if they do not want to lose their hosts, that they should put an end to this ridiculous no guest photo policy, and restore full disclosure between both guests and hosts, which has brought great success to their platform- thus far. I encourage all who dislike this new policy to send their feedback as well!

164 Replies 164
Stephanie963
Level 2
Arvada, CO

I've recently added to all my listings that i will be checking ID's upon check in to verify they are the person they say they are on the reservation. Iv actually had people use someone elses account to stay at my airbnb. Recently, I checked in a guy that didnt have an ID and used his friends ID to sutup an account and had a female name on his profile with a selfie of him. Wondering how Airbnb screens a new account?? His girlfriend had created the account with her name and email, apparently she didnt have an ID either so they uploaded their friends ID and Airbnb accepted it. I found out about this after the fact as they told when i met them in person, they only had a 5 day stay so i didnt want to be an A**hole and kick them out, turns out i should have... they didnt follow the house rules and broke the wardrobe closet in the room. 

Now with this new policy we cant even see who is requesting to stay in our home?? I dont think its fair when they can see pictures of our home before they submit a request. 

You’ve confirmed for me the fact that we shouldn’t let guests slide. I had a two night stay that seemed to do the same thing and am seriously considering taking copies of identification at check in.

I agree totally with the sentiment of this thread.  This policy makes my participation in Airbnb untenable. I use the photo and other reviews and verifications as a means of establishing trust.  The success of the Airbnb platform is based on trust.  For hosts they have now removed this, it seems  that Airbnb don’t view their hosts as customers. Hi They see us as partners. But are not willing to take our needs into account.  Very disappointing but maybe unsurprising- expect more of the same.  

How is it that the guest can see our profile picture and yet we are the ones who are getting targeted on whatever discrimination concerns AirBnB has? Discrimination can occur with both the guest and host.

Katja8
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I totally agree with Michael and Gill. I think he is absolutely right in saying that this new no guest photo policy is totally wrong , and also discriminatory to hosts ( I am a superhost myself) and I feel that as Michael says we should have the right to see who will be staying in our homes. Airbnb prides themselves on the fact that this is a'home sharing' platform, not a hotel. Why should a host not have the right to choose who they would like to host?

I suppose that this policy was devised to combat racism, but I find it rather offensive to be suspected of potential racism. If airbnb wants to make sure that there is no racism, they should only approach those hosts with a history of refusing guests on the basis of race. Why take away a useful tool from all those who hate racism as much as airbnb?

Enrico204
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

Airbnb New rule

I have hosted over 2000 guest and have over 800 enthusiastic reviews and I have never declined a request based on someone’s look but I have always requested guests (specially those new to Airbnb) to add a picture to their profile before accepting the request. This is because I want to see who I let into my own home.

The Oxford Dictionary states:
Discrimination =
1. The unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people, especially on the grounds of race, age, or sex.
2. Recognition and understanding of the difference between one thing and one other.

It may well be another case when you rent a whole flat but, in my view, the whole point here is that when it comes to your own home, where you live with your family, it is a basic human right to be able to choose who we let in , i.e. to “discriminate” .

It is not a crime. It is not unfair.

We choose our friends, correct? That is a form of “discrimination”.
We choose our spouses correct? That is a form of “discrimination”.
We choose who we let into our own homes. It is one of our fundamental rights.

It is not my case but if I do not feel comfortable having person into my own home who has a sexual orientation different from mine , I should and I do have all the rights not to have them as guests in my own home.

If a single lady is not feeling comfortable with hosting men in her own home, she should be allowed to choose, to “discriminate” this without receiving a subliminal message that maybe she is being unjust or prejudicial. It is within her human rights to decide who she lets into her own home.

If someone does not like to have men with a beard around because they awaken sad memories of the deceased grandad, one should be free to exercise the right to choose (discriminate) not to let them into their own homes.
How do you do this without seeing a picture ?

One may decline a request not as an unfair and prejudicial treatment but as a measure of self respect.
If my ex had red long hair. I may be painfully reminded of her/him if I host a lady/man with long red hair.

I actually believe that it is a fundamental human right violation to deny the choice to “discriminate “ who we let into our own homes. It could be argued that it goes against article 8 of the European Convention of Human Rights which states:
“1. Everyone has the right to respect for his private and family life, his home and his correspondence.
2. There shall be no interference by a public authority with the exercise of this right “

According the laws of most western Countries, not even the police, with the exception of emergency situations, can enter your home without your permission unless with a Court order.

Does Airbnb have more powers than a Court ?

There have been changes imposed on us that are already unfair and heavy to swallow. Take the 48 hrs penalty free cancellation policy.
If the guest can cancel penalty free why should the host not have the same right? Is it me or is this a one way street? How fair is it?

It must be said that we are not forced to be hosts and we can leave whenever we want to. The truth is that Airbnb is a private business and therefore it is not democratic. We have the choice between: take it all as it is, or, leave it all as it is. Unfortunately, because out there there is no real alternative, Airbnb has the upper hand. It is their business, they decide. Full stop.

There is a possibility, a small possibility, that if enough of us write and complain they might actually listen.
Am I being naïve?

Well said @Enrico0, you're absolutely right. As hosts, we should always be able to exercise choice about who we let into our homes. While I have never turned anyone down based on their appearance, there was one post in this forum once where a host had received a request from someone who was posing with a semi-automatic weapon. There is absolutely no way I would have accepted a booking from this person. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words...

Michel14
Level 3
Hamilton, Canada

I agree,  its like opening your home's door to a complete stranger. 

I want to know who it is that I am welcoming to my home, not because I am discriminating but because I am choosing!! Same way I will choose not to do AirBnB anymore if they force me to allow anyone into my home.

John-and-Tim0
Level 4
Palm Springs, CA

I'd like to add my dislike.  If hosts have to upload accurate photos of their properties then guests need to upload accurate photos of themselves.  It's about entering into a trusting relationship where both sides feel at ease.  A current photo has been a requirement for us since we began hosting and it will remain so.  The idea that I'm going to hurt someone's feelings by requesting a pic is nonsense.  

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hosts don't have to upload accurate profile photos of themselves @John-and-Tim0.  Quite a few don't and I feel this is wrong.

If you want to see a photo of your guest on booking, all you have to do is tick the box on your listing to say you require a photo. 

If you have IB there will be absolutely no difference to how the system worked before you will see the image the guest provided on booking. If you use request to book you will see it after the guest books.

So you can still have your current requirement of having a current photo, just as I have on my listing. Nothing has changed.

If when you see the photo there is something that makes you feel uncomfortable ie a guest with a gun or a Nazi flag or the photo is a cartoon or flower. You can stay you feel uncomfortable and ask Airbnb to cancel.  or in the case of a flower or cartoon ask for a profile shot to be uploaded.

I do feel hosts that are over-reacting here, haven't taken the time to read through the proposed changes properly.

Dear Helen,

I read this post yesterday on another forum and didn't respond, but today, on re-reading I am prompted to say a couple of things, especially in response to

"I do feel hosts that are over-reacting here, haven't taken the time to read through the proposed changes properly."

The changes amount to the fact that hosts are no longer able to view a picture of a potential guest. As you rightly point out if a host is using Instant Booking who cares? However, many of us do not always us instant booking and prefer to have some contact with potential guests before we decide to host them.

Again you are right - there is no way I will accept a booking from someone if I see them waving a Nazi flag. If a picture like that pops up AFTER I have accepted a 'blind' booking, I am allowed a total of 3 cancellations in a year if I am not comfortable with the guest. After that I will loose my superhost status OR I can ask Airbnb on a case by case basis if I may cancel a reservation that makes me feel uneasy. Who then will judge whether my doubts are valid - if I say 'I feel uneasy about how this guest represents themselves in this photo" - wouldn't it have just saved a lot of time and bother if I had politely refused the guest and let them find anothe host more suited to their needs?  If the reservation has been made and I am unhappy about it for whatever reason Airbnb has every right to dispute my judgement, and as other people have pointed out in these threads, Airbnb is going to favour the guest over the host in most cases.

I don't think this is just a case of over-reacting by hosts, but more the case that we are expressing frustration about lack of consultation and a sense that we are completely undervalued, in spite of the fact that Airbnb is making their money off our work.

I understand you are concerned but in reality how many guests have you not accepted a booking from since you have started soley because you felt uncomfortable with their photo?

I've been hosting for over three years with hundreds of guests and there hasn't been one guest where I have had to exercise my right to cancel as I have felt uncomfortable with their photo.

Rose341
Level 2
Pembroke Pines, FL

Well said. This has been posing such a problem.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Rose341

Who doesn't have a photo of herself on her profile photo.

Takling into account the information I have provided in the post above yours - what problems do you see as being posed by this change?

@Rose, if accurate profile pictures and transparency are so important, why are you an Eiffel tower? Just curious.