Non-refundable reservation

Answered!
Cheryl413
Level 2
Hendersonville, TN

Non-refundable reservation

I have someone who wants to cancel because her travel partner canceled on her. But I see that she booked her reservation as non-refundable. Is there anything I am supposed to do? Does the reservation just sit there and she just doesn't show up or is she supposed to cancel on her end without a refund?

1 Best Answer
Joelle43
Level 10
Cannes, France

Hello @Cheryl413 

It does seem unfair that you risk getting a bad review because this person decided to go for the cheaper non refundable offer and yet now expects a refund because of a hitch.  

As @Mike-And-Jane0 suggest, get the guest to cancel herself, definitely not you and you can say that she will get the cleaning fee back at the very least (if you have one of course) and you will refund her if you get a booking for her dates booked.

If this person does leave you a bad review, you will be able to give your side of the story which will show up against hers.

All the best

Joëlle

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Cheryl413 she just doesnt turn up I am afraid and then leaves a bad review.

I would ask her to cancel and tell her you will refund her to the extent that you get a replacement booking. This way she doesnt get to review you and you have the chance of making everyone happy at no financial/reputational risk.

That's what I was afraid of that if she didn't cancel she could not show but still give me a bad review. Good idea

Joelle43
Level 10
Cannes, France

Hello @Cheryl413 

It does seem unfair that you risk getting a bad review because this person decided to go for the cheaper non refundable offer and yet now expects a refund because of a hitch.  

As @Mike-And-Jane0 suggest, get the guest to cancel herself, definitely not you and you can say that she will get the cleaning fee back at the very least (if you have one of course) and you will refund her if you get a booking for her dates booked.

If this person does leave you a bad review, you will be able to give your side of the story which will show up against hers.

All the best

Joëlle

Thanks for the good advice. I will heed this

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Keep in mind that even a negative review (if she doesn't cancel but doesn't come)  by a person that never even stepped in your place is not only easy to dismiss as ridiculous (in one line), but immediately dismissed by future potential visitors because it doesn't make sense.

What is she guest going to review, not liking the cancellation policy they agreed upon when making the reservation?