Our account has been supposedly hacked

Nuria196
Level 2
Barcelona, Spain

Our account has been supposedly hacked

Dear Airbnb Hosts, I just wanted to share with you a bad expereience we've just gone thru recently. During the accounting closing of the first quarter we realized we hadn't received any collection from Airbnb in our Bank Account.  To our suprise we saw our bank account had been changed without our permission and all the money from our rental activity had been diverted to an unknown account that we cannot even see the IBAN details as the system just shows the last 4 digits...

Despite several calls and e-mails to Airbnb, they have not even bothered to give us an answer/solution. This incident has been reported to local police but they don't seem to care either.

Used to the amazing service received from companies like Amzaon or to a lesser extent Booking.com we're  deeply disappointed the way Airbnb is handling this issue, specially when it's either an internal error or a extremely serious security breach/hole.

We just spoke to local hosts community in Spain and it seems, we're not the first case, we're aware at least of 4 other cases like ours in the last 3 years, the only difrerence now is that Airbnb service has worsened sharply.

Despite that, we still remain optimistic they'll get back to us with a satisfactory solution.

As a recommendation, please check each time you receive a collection e-mail from Airbnb last 4 digits of the detailed account are yours... Best, Nuria

4 Replies 4
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Nuria196 So sorry this happened to you. Airbnb is not a secure platform at all.  It has more holes than the colander in my kitchen drawer. I regularly check my account/settings/activity, and change my password.

Airbnb outsources it CS to call center workers who are independent contractors. They are not trained well, if at all, and offer no real support. They are basically just a facade. Behind the scenes I think it’s like in The Wizard of Oz, just a wee man pulling levers and cranks. Best of luck sorting this out. It’s good you posted to warn others.

Below are a few of the more recent and alarming posts about issues hosts have had with their accounts and security issues.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Host-Circle/My-Airbnb-account-was-hacked-here-is-what-happened/m...

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/ROBBED-BY-AIRBNB-EMLOYEE-USING-SCREEN-SHARING/td-p/14399...

Hi Nuria! I'm another host from Barcelona! This is happening to me right now. I'm realizing I have not been receiving my transfers. 

I found original email that i changed it to some bank account. All i see is 4 last digits, as I have few bank accounts - i checked and none of them is that.  I contacted support to find out which bank account it is, what number (maybe i had full sclerosis and added a new account of some friend , or who knows who for some strange reason). But they say for privacy reasons they have no access whatsoever to this information - what bank account exactly it was.  And whats even more strange, I can not access the PAYOUTS section to check more, add or delete a Payout method (all other sections - TAXES, DONATIONS, etc are loading, except for PAYOUTS). A technical department now looking into this.

A chat support person also mentioned that I received an email about changing the payout method, so all good on their end... There should be an explicit confirmation link to click, not just a notification.

I'll keep posted what they say from the technical department.

Screenshot 2021-06-11 at 13.41.03.png

What did everything end with ?

How did you work this out?