Paying my remaining balance

Aida43
Level 5
Los Angeles, CA

Paying my remaining balance

Hi there -

I booked a cabin in Big Bear and it required a deposit to book the cabin.  I now need to pay the balance, but have no idea where to go to do that.  The cabin shows booked, and it shows how much I paid, and balance due, but no where does it show to pay balance.  I need to pay the balance by tomorrow or I will lose my reservation.  There isn't a number I can call to ask questions either. 

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks,

Michelle 

167 Replies 167
Jonathan617
Level 1
Montreal, Canada

have the same poblem, I tried to send money to my host and got this message:

You won’t be able to send or request additional money from your host until your reservation is paid in full. If you chose to pay for part of your reservation at a later date, no action is required from you, we’ll automatically charge you on your payment due date.

So I guess that's that!

they should make that a lot clearer though.

Steve698
Level 1
Marietta, GA

Called AirBNB support and they said there is no way to change the payment date.  It's agaisnt their policies and "the agreement" to pay in advance.  You can change your default payment if you need to and it will be charged 2 weeks before your trip.  If you really need to pay in advance, you can escalate to their second level support, but no promises there.

It probably isn't so simple on their side: needs new code that probably ins't straightforward, especially if they didn't bake it in the base app from the beginning; and then there's fraud routines which are even worse.  However, inflexability like this is really not good for a service only internet company: signs of worse things to come for them. 

Gwen64
Level 2
Dublin, Ireland

It is SO disappointing in this day and age to get restricted and hidden info from Airbnb regarding payment of a balance due.

It is buried into the Pay Less Option Terms and Conditions:  https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/1696/pay-less-upfront-terms

"If you choose to book with the Pay Less Upfront Feature, the Airbnb Platform will notify you of the amount and schedule of each payment due. On the second payment due date, Airbnb Payments will automatically charge the original Payment Method you used to make the booking."

I had to spend 20 minutes online to understand this awkward rules from this booking platform. Why not call it 'Pay Deposit' instead of Pay Less Upfront Feature? Sure it keeps people employed... [emoji roll eyes] if I could...

I don't think it would be 'out of this world service' to ask DEV to add a 'Pay Balance Now' button' for customers who are ready to pay now.

This is not good Customer Service: Airbnb is NOT taking into consideration each individual situation. It is assuming that the customer has no other payments coming out of their bank account. This is making the Customer Effort way too complicated.

I hope Airbnb can find a way to make things easier for their customers. I chose to book my summer hols with other accommodation providers... Perhaps I should have done the same for this next stay away from home experience. 

Airbnb, please get your act together! Is this discussion forum even moderated? I don't see a 'solution' button. Readers have to spend time reading all replies without the possibility to jump to the solution. Really! Come on! Self Help can be much easier than that. Original thread May 2017!!!

Amanda722
Level 1
Chandler's Ford, United Kingdom

I know the original post is old, but as people are still posting I wanted to let you know how I resolved it (in the UK). I paid the deposit without realising the implications. The date they said the balance would be taken was after my credit card expired and on a day I would be travelling without internet access. I messaged Airbnb from within the app and the next day they responded to say it was not a problem and when did I want to pay. Within 48 hours the balance was taken by them. They also sent me a link that I could have used to pay if I wanted to use a different payment option. 

David3136
Level 1
Barry, United Kingdom

Just spent an hour and a half going around in circles trying to find out how to pay the rest of my holiday accomodation. thank god for this thread, NO HELP OR INFORMATION FROM AIRBNB, will never use them again, used homeaway and tripadvisor to book the same apts in the past with no problem, shall stick to them in future

Nicole981
Level 1
New York, NY

Bumping this in hopes Airbnb will hear our cries for a solution. I want to pay my remaning balance now. The option is misleading as it's not truly a less up front option if there is no way to pay the "balance" in advance. It's more a of a deposit. Airbnb please fix this issue.

I was able to get a number to call from the app, they responded and said they will send an email few days to the reservation date and also deduct the remaining balance. This is the contact if you are in America +14158005959.

Penelope54
Level 1
Turramurra, Australia

I'm having a lot of trouble trying to pay my remaining balance. I was not notified that it would be taking money out of my account and the correct money was in my savings account which was not listed as my default payment method. It says I have 72 hours left to pay the payment - but there is no option to? Airbnb needs to fix this. It affects so many people. 

Kellie44
Level 2
Sunshine Coast, Australia

I just booked accomodation in LA. I accidentally paid partially. I just messaged Airbnb on how to pay the remaining. I paid with PayPal the first time and they will automatically take out the remaining fees on a specific date. So you don’t need to do anything more once your booking is successful. I can post my conversation if that gives people a piece of mind.

Marian131
Level 2
Carmona, Philippines

How can i pay the reamining balance? 

Steven569
Level 1
Livermore, CA

I just contacted Airbnb and spoke to a customer service rep about this issue. Here's the answer:

Question: If you have a remaining balance on your reservation, can you pay early before the scheduled automatic withdrawal? 

Answer from airbnb customer service rep: No, you can not. Once you book a reservation and opt for the "pay a deposit now and the rest later" option, you have to wait until the scheduled payment goes through and you cannot pay it off early.

Why is it like that? Who knows. And personally, I think it's the dumbest thing ever. I'm sure they know about this inconvenience and why they haven't fixed it is totally beyond me. 

Emily686
Level 1
Knoxville, TN

I was in a similar situation where they tried to charge my card for the remaining balance and it didn't work, and they said I needed to update the payment method within 72 hours or lose the reservation. So I tapped the notification and tried to change the payment method, then the app crashed and I couldn't find the place to pay when I opened it again, and the notification was gone.

I couldn't find an email about the issue in my inbox, but then I tried a few different searches was able to find one from automated@airbnb.com in god knows what folder about the failed payment, and that took me to a web version where I could pay, including change payment type.

I hope this is helpful to someone!

Lisa-May0
Level 2
Nashville, TN

Has anyone worked out how to pay the balance before it's due? I prefer to have my place fully paid upfront. 

Andrew1162
Level 1
Epsom, NH

Not allowing clients to pay in full when they want to, well before trip is ridiculous.   Some want to pay before for no worries, issues, due to credit card rewards, extra funds, etc.  what a poor policy.  

It's definitely not cool because many owners don't understand this system in other parts of the world and I was in a really tough situation back in the summer. I want to pay the full amount aways. It's time for a comaint to be filed for this option. Bottom line is if I don't have the option to pay in full, I don't use the service. I would rather pay more if needed not to have the headache of partial payments. I travel way too much and need my affairs in order.