Paying my remaining balance

Aida43
Level 5
Los Angeles, CA

Paying my remaining balance

Hi there -

I booked a cabin in Big Bear and it required a deposit to book the cabin.  I now need to pay the balance, but have no idea where to go to do that.  The cabin shows booked, and it shows how much I paid, and balance due, but no where does it show to pay balance.  I need to pay the balance by tomorrow or I will lose my reservation.  There isn't a number I can call to ask questions either. 

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks,

Michelle 

167 Replies 167
Kookie0
Level 2
Philippines

So how should we pay for the remaining balance??

There is no response from the organization on this matter for nearly a year. 

I just found this looking for an option to pay the remainder of my balance. Like many have said that isn’t an option unless you are changing your payment. I talked to them on the phone and was told a software update was in development and should be here soon to allow early payments. We shall see if it updates anytime soon. 

Suzanne116
Level 2
Seattle, WA

I would also like to pay the balance on some airbnb reservations for a big trip so that they are not all coming due at the same time. There was no information on the "pay upfront" option that alerted us that we would not be able to pay the balance whenever we wanted. There are a couple of folks who have posted on this thread who mention calling and getting a link to pay. Wondering if that was just a case of using a different card/payment option but at the originally scheduled time, or if they actually managed to pay early? There are some folks who have clearly posted here that airbnb has told them that they may not pay early. How many of us have to call/post/complain about this to get them to fix it? It can't be that difficult.

Lesley93
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

I blithely opted for the 'deposit' payment simply because it was first on the list. then I realised the payments would come out of my account when I was in Australia not UK where I live, and my credit card robot might get its knickers in a twist and then block the card. SO I got it fixed. Easy-peasy. I found airbnb on facebook and wrote them a message to explain the problem. About an hour later a very nice and competent lady from Airbnb called my mobile. She couldn't make the payments right then but she transferred them to my paypal account so now I am a happy bunny. LETS HOPE THIS WORKS. I do think airbnb should have a link on their website to explain how to change the payment method.

Really, nothing on AirBNB site about the payment method. It's just several automatic attempts to charge money before end of day London time. Then your reservation ultimately cancelled

Hi Lesley, I paid the first instalment with PayPal and the rest is due 5th April, do you know if PayPal will allow them to automatically deduct the amount? Thanks, Trish

Hayley98
Level 2
Auckland, New Zealand

In summary (it seems)... if you paid ‘half now’ by card, then the balance will automatically be charged to that card on the balance due date (this is clearly stated at your time of booking, as well as in the confirmation email - in order for you to diarise). If in the meantime your original card expires/gets cancelled, you can make contact with Airbnb to update your payment method for that booking. Best option might be to use PayPal (if not originally, then at this point), because via PayPal you can update your own payment methods as/when needed.

If you don’t get around to doing that, and the payment is attempted but can’t go through, you will then get an email with a link to pay by a different method (ie in the case the original card is invalid). 

I’ve booked several advance trips that are 6 months away and, whilst I’d prefer an easy ‘pay balance now’ option, this doesn’t exist and there’s no need to panic. I’m going to update all of my future bookings to PayPal, for ease, and will then set my PayPal to an account that only holds funds for my accommodation balances (ie once I have the funds to pay the balance I will transfer to this holding account to simply sit there until charged by Airbnb).

Hopefully the easier option of ‘pay balance now’ arrives soon. But until then - deep breaths and happy holidays everyone!

The only problem with your suggestion is that I have found that some owners are not familiar with this process and think that I have not paid. Trying to teach an owner what the Airbnb process is is quite stressful when you don't speak their language. Otherwise, yes, the Paypal idea is good and I would only use it in English speaking countries. 

Emma627
Level 2
Grove, United Kingdom

Is there a way to pay the balance before the due date or do you have to wait for air BnB to contact you for the final balance?

Ed180
Level 2
San Diego, CA

I'm experiencing a similar issue as what is being discussed.   We are renting a house with another couple and splitting the cost.    Final analysis:    You can't pay balance early. 

1.  Made reservation and paid half for a house rental.   The rest is due about three weeks before the rental date. 

2.  The other couple  going with us on the trip wants to pay his half (the balance) with his credit card.   

3.   I added his card to my AirBB accout as the default.   

4.  I tried to find a method to pay remaining balance, then I would remove his card from my account.   There is no method to do this.   I 

5.   I called AirBB customer support and asked them to charge the remaining balance.   The person helping me (well not really helping me) said that can't be done.   There is not other way to pay the balance than the automatic payment which is scheduled in another week or so.    

Some of you mentioned that the 2nd payment will automatically charge the original credit card even if you had changed the default.    I asked them about this and they said the balance should come off of the "New Default"   credit card.      But they were not 100% sure.    What I got from that phone call is they had no idea.    This all seems so simple.    I'd hate to see how they handle complicated things. 

I will report back here next week if the "new" card works or if they still charge my old card.     

Harriet63
Level 2
Wales, United Kingdom

Im a host and we are constantly asked by guests how to pay their remaining balance and as hosts we arent able to accept/ take any money this is all processed through Airbnb. I wish airbnb would make it easier for guests to pay. On a few occasions our bookings have automatically cancelled when Airbnb didnt recieve a final payment (as they dont make it easy for guests to pay). It would make things a lot easier for hosts and guests if Airbnb could put some kind of payment link in the trips section.

Andrea2445
Level 1
Dorado, Puerto Rico

I had the same issue. Final answers I received from Airbnb were:

1. Their is indeed a "pay less" upfront method where you pay half the total for the reservation. 

2. If you are NOT changing you're method when paying the second half due, you have nothing to worry about. About 3 day before the payment is processed, you will receive an email saying so. Then, airbnb automatically processes the 2nd half from the already existing credit card in your account.

3. If you were to change your method just look up for the option provided for doing so. 

Hope this helps!

Where is the Pay Less option located? I never see it and stuck with it. 

Under your reservation, you can see "payment details"- and then a link that says "get receipts and manage ppayments". Once you click that link, you can see the amount that you paid, and the same card/payment method will be applied to the balance on the date specified on that page.