Places appearing unavailable when user didn't reply on book request

Places appearing unavailable when user didn't reply on book request

Several times I've tried to book a place and when the host doesn't reply to the request after 24 hs, the request get expired right? but the problem is that the place gets locked for that same dates period (same exact dates period) for a long time, i.e. it's been more a week and the place is still blocked for that same dates. So I (in fact nobody) can't send another request. It already happened to me 4 times, with different places.

I don't know if this is a bug or what.. I thought airbnb would release the soft hold 24 hs after the expiry. It's a shame places got blocked that much time when a user doesn't reply to a booking request..

4 Replies 4
Shelley159
Top Contributor
Stellenbosch, South Africa

@Lucio182 

I'm sorry that you've experienced so many hosts that don't reply on time. I think it's a good thing that the dates remain blocked so those places can't get booked - responding on time is one of the most important hosting tasks. I hope you soon find a place with a responsive host!

well 24 hs is not a lot of time..specially that I'm trying to book almost an year in advance.

if you ask me it's also bad for the guests not only for the hosts. the hosts just miss the opportunity to earn the stay. the guest (me and others) has now to look for other places, usually more expensive, or maybe not the perfect one in terms of beds, location, etc.

And when the city / location doesn't have a lot of accommodation to look for, whether hotels or b&b, is kinda hard to find alternatives in the same price range and location..

Is is possible to the host to unlock it if I message him/her?

Karen114
Level 10
Bolton, MA

@Lucio182  If it was a request to book,  yes,  their calendar will be blocked for the dates you requested.  Really no excuse for the host not to respond in a 24 hour period so that is their punishment. 

I have experienced Air messages telling me my calendar will be blocked within minutes if I don't accept or decline the request. I have of course responded to the guest however  sometimes I am coordinating with my housekeepr to make sure the place is clean or will be clean in enough time before I accept.  

Karen

Is is possible to the host to unlock it if I message him/her?

It's not so easy to find airbnb in some places within the same price range. maybe the guy didn't see the email, I don't know..seems kinda excessive to block the stay if you didn't reply for only a day..