Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Ratings - Help!

Natalie1176
Level 1
Reading, United Kingdom

Ratings - Help!

Hi Community!!

I was hoping you might be able to help with something please? 

We’ve recently had a couple of guests who have written in their feedback that the location is great (including how close to the shops and the station etc) but they have scored 4 for location. Consequently the overall rating is 4. 

Is there anything I can do to address this? I don’t mind the 4 rating for location -it’s  more that they have written in their public feedback that it’s a great location so I am trying to figure out what I can do for future guests. 

Thank you! 

5 Replies 5
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Natalie1176 Just to correct your understanding. Guests give location, cleanliness, value ratings and then an overall rating. The latter is the rating that determines your listing rating and is not mathematically related to the sub-ratings.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Natalie1176  Since whatever you say now is really pertinent to only future guests, definitely not the time correcting past guests or their thinking publicly, the best course of action is to act like you just got a good review, emphasizing whatever positive they happened to mentioned.

As for why that guest left that who knows, and happens often. Perhaps is in the methodology of rating, misunderstanding by the guest or even outright mistake. If you suspect is the latter, ask the guest to change it, otherwise is not worth worrying too much about it. What guest say is a lot important then one's star rating, which could goofy at times.

The problem with that is that airbnb do not take into account what guests say in relation to your super host status,  yes future guests can read the review and see through the star rating, but maintaining super host with this flawed review system is becoming harder and harder. 

Lee386
Level 4
Cyprus

I have just had a similar experience.......the system is flawed. there is no way around it. I spoke with airbnb.(20 minutes of my life I won't get back) I got all 5 stars in the sub categories, but then an overall 4!

The only option given to me was to explain to the guest how the review system works and ask them to request that the review is removed. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Natalie1176 The question for rating the location is quite interesting. 

See this thread