Refund for health issue

Suzanne862
Level 2
Arvada, CO

Refund for health issue

I would love some input on a current guest.  She booked from February 6 - April 22, and ever since she has arrived has complained of health issues/ allergies being caused by something inside the home.   We have replaced a $2800 water heater because she said there was an odor in the water, called 911 because she called me complaining of a gas smell in the home (the fire department found nothing), removed all rugs and steam cleaned them because she found dog hair under them (we rent to guests with dogs, of which she brought 3), and offered to deep clean the home again for her.   Long story short, she is leaving this Friday, and wants a  Refund from  Saturday through the end of her reservation.  In addition, her husband backed into the garage door and we are now facing a full replacement of that, because there are no replacement panels available (she basically blamed me for that too, because she didn’t think to ask her husband about it before calling me).   I don’t feel refunding her for the entire unused portion of her stay is fair; I would like to keep the funds that would cover the remainder of March then refund for the April portion, but I know she is going to claim that it is unhealthy for her to stay.  Last week she shared that she had a black mold exposure 8 years ago and it gravely affected her health.   What would you do?     Thank you for your input!  😊

15 Replies 15
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Suzanne862 

You can shorten the reservation ("change "option) to check-out date and amend the price in the change-form to what you consider a fair deal. The Airbnb service-costs regarding the refunded amount will also be refunded. If the guest does not accept i would not discuss it anymore and poiny her to Airbnb.

Karla533
Level 10
Santa Fe, NM

@Suzanne862   What a nightmare Suzanne, so sorry this happened to you. I have a few thoughts to share, mostly based on my professional experience as a landlord.

1. I believe long stays cause the most problems. I was actually lucky with a couple 30+ nights guests, but wised up fast and decided not to push my luck any more. My limit is now 21 nights, and nobody books that long.

With someone staying as long as your guest, you need a proper written lease, IMHO.

I switched to ABB in part because it's easier and more profitable than being a landlord. But you throw that away once you start offering housing situations that might be recognized as a leasehold by your municipality.

You might want to check that issue. Could you end up in landlord-tenant court in Wheat Ridge Colorado? Many cities have laws that say once a person is housed X number of days, they become tenants with a lease, even if there is nothing in writing. Leases do NOT have to be in writing unless the tenancy is a year. (Look it up--statute of frauds.)

In NYC you're a tenant after 14 days, in many other places it's 30 days. Call city hall and find out.

If you are intent on bookings of months, then I think you should start reading up on how landlords handle problem tenants--and more important, how landlords prevent problem tenants in the first place. And probably use a different platform for bookings, such as SabbaticalHomes.com , so you can use LeaseRunner.com or similar to properly screen your tenants. 

In my opinion ABB does NOT offer landlords enough screening opportunity. Tenants have rights everywhere that hotel guests do not have.

You were too accommodating to her in the beginning, and you kept offering to deep clean, other concessions, even after you had already taken remediation. Landlords know that if you let tenants push you around too much, you will have nothing but trouble down the road. You can and should be accommodating but you have to draw the line at stupid stuff. 

2. Her reservation is Feb. 6 - April 22. She is leaving March 11, do I understand this correctly? In my opinion you owe her a refund from March 12 through April 22. Of course you do. You don't have a written lease. Be glad she is leaving.

3. Garage door damage. Does husband admit he backed into the garage door? If so isn't this what ABB financial compensation is for? I've only been ABB hosting since Nov 2021 but I would pursue it through ABB for sure. I also have STR insurance that should cover the door. I hope you have photos or other evidence.

The garage door issue is completely separate from the checking out early, loss of income issue. I would not mix them up.

4. The water heater replacement bothers me. If it was a tank heater 10-15 years old, it was due for replacement anyway. But I sure hope there is more to the story. To replace a water heater because a tenant says the water smells funny, and for no other reason? Really? Did the plumber also say it was time to get rid of the water heater?

5. The 911 call about a gas leak. Did the fire fighter employ a sniffer or wand device that detects natural gas? If not I would have followed up with a plumber using such a device. I can smell natural gas skunk when others cannot, I have proven this. Even small gas leaks are never good to have.

Hope this is helpful! This is the kind of stuff I turned to ABB to avoid.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

Is the refund covered under the long term rules or the short term?  Whatever you do, I would make sure that any refund is minus the cost of the garage door.

I have to say I am a little shocked you did all of these things for this person, the minute they started complaining about water taste I would have been working to shorten the booking and get them out.  She already I'm sure cost you more than you will end up making.

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Suzanne862 I guess that you have already been paid for March. Tell her that you will cancel and only refund the rest of March or part therof depending on your cancellation policy ,if you can re book the times but that she should feel free to cancel . Make sure that she recieves the bill for the garage door and that so does Airbnb. also send Airbnb a list of things updated during her stay and state the the guest has chosen to leave and states that it is because she is ill and randomly chooses certain reasons why . Make it clear that there is no medical evidence or any doctors visits or hospital stays while she was with you as far as you are aware. Ask for her medical history . Escalate it immediately to Airbnb with pictures of the work done and messages from the guest .Good luck H.

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

Also get a Carbon monoxide detector ,simply like a smoke detector . Everyone with gas facilities should have one . by the way there is no smell to natural gas which is why it is dangerous . That is b.s H.

@Helen744  Carbon monoxide detectors do not detect gas leaks. 

They detect carbon monoxide, which is a totally different issue. CO is produced by improper combustion of gas in an appliance. 

Here in Canada, @Helen744 , natural gas does have a smell because mercaptan is added to it so leaks can be detected. I expect it is the same in Colorado.

If the guest was telling the truth, then that will be what she smelled. 

@Suzanne862 , what I would do is make sure she leaves. If it takes a refund of unused nights, then sure. Cut your losses. 

yes, same in Australia. there IS a smell to natural gas that we use domestically.  

There is a smell to natural gas.  There is not a smell to carbon monoxide.

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

this guest sounds like a professional at this, what do her reviews look like? 
Your place is tiled, with rugs, and this person who brought dogs, complained about dog hair???
wtf. 
tbh I might be glad to be rid of such a person, cos she sounds like trouble. I wonder again, what her reviews are like. 

Teresa31
Level 9
Montana, United States

@Suzanne862 @Be glad she’s going! Yes, as mentioned, you’ve bent way too far over backwards. You’re not responsible for her prior health issues. Yes she gets a refund for unused days. Long term, more than 3 weeks, renters are a pain and Airbnb gives you no way to really vet them as you would a regular renter. Escalate garage door issue, document, pictures before & after.

This sounds awful. Ask them to cancel. If they don’t, tell them they accept the apartment as presented.

But a word of advice for future. The MINUTE you replaced the water heater you set yourself up for a scam. She brought 3 dogs but complained about hair and you recleaned ?

She’ll stay and then demand a refund at the end. It’s a well known scam and it’s been in the news that customer service is outsourced and sides with guests.

You aren’t supposed to remodel for a guest, even a long term one.

You’re not a concierge.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Suzanne862 

Firstly, do not cancel the reservation yourself. You will be penalised by Airbnb. Either get the guest to cancel or request a date change or you can initiate the date change from your end.

Just to be clear, the guest is not entitled to a full refund of unused nights. According to the long term cancellation policy, they must pay for 30 days from the cancellation date (or the remainder of the stay if that is shorter). So, no, she isn't entitled to one, but sounds like she might fight you for it if you refuse and Airbnb CS have a reputation for blindly siding with guests and issuing refunds regardless.

No, it's not fair, but to be honest, I would just want this guest gone and would agree to refund the remaining nights. BUT, I would also expect her to pay for the damage to the garage door. So, without it sounding like blackmail or a bribe, you could simply tell her that you are happy to make the refund, but will of course be deducting the money for damages from that.

Cathy864
Level 2
Brewster, MA

Tell her the Town health inspector is coming to do a inspection of the air quality. You can actually have this done free...

This is your record (paper record) The is fine...

Her leaving is then because she chose to leave.... not because of your property.

Keep everything. She is scaming. Apologize for her discomfort... your sorry she has chosen to leave your property.

Thank her for notifying you in advance. As stated in the refund policy a refund is not on your tab.