Reviews

Abraham253
Level 2
San Diego, CA

Reviews

Hello community members, about two weeks ago I went through the process of demonstrating to Airbnb support team to remove a review that a previous guest wrote in retaliation against me. In my listing, under house rules, I have a clear set of rules that aren’t really hard or morally correct to have( one of them being quiet hours from 11:00 pm to 7 :00 am. My guest broke the quiet hours ground rule and I tried reaching out the night of the incident but received no response. The following morning upon checking out, I received the keys personally, as per check out instructions and asked about the occurrence  of the previous night. I received confirmation from guests that after receiving my notice proceeded to amend the noise originating from their room.( the message that I sent was around 12:00 am onward). On the review that was left for me stated false information and painted me out to be a harsh host. When I reach out to the support team, my motion for removal was denied. The reason why, as agents said, was because the review did not violate any community guideline policies. Dispute my attempt to point out the reasons why the review should be removed, on the basis of retaliation against me for enforcing a ground rule, I was rejected. If anyone has shared an experience like this before, could you assist me with insight and elaborate on this matter a bit more. Thank you in advance for your help 

Abraham.G
6 Replies 6
Abraham253
Level 2
San Diego, CA

IMG_5858.png

IMG_5854.png

**[Content removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

Abraham.G

  these are the posts that were made during my attempt to remove the review. 

**[Content removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

Abraham.G
Zheng49
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

This CAN be a tough situation to deal with.

For me, the quiet hours are from 9PM to 7AM. But I only start to enforce the rule from 10:30PM - 11PM onwards, to give a buffer for the guest. 

First I try to call the guest and/or send a message through the Airbnb app, something like, 'Hi ____, a friendly reminder that the quiet hours here are between 9PM to 7AM, etc etc.'

If that doesn't reach the guest somehow, then I try to call Airbnb.

Personal confrontation over enforcing the quiet rule can potentially backfire, that's why I try to avoid doing this now. 

Jennifer1897
Level 10
Irvine, CA

@Abraham253  After reading the review she left for you, there seems to be more than just a noise issue. As an unbiased third party who was not there, I can't say what was true and what wasn't, and I am not taking sides. Her review does not really violate any policies, unless you want to argue that the terminology "loud pleasures" is inappropriate. 

However, it appears there was a lot more going on than just some noise issues.  She highlights the room not being clean on arrival, no backup linens, request to watch dog who them had an accident in their room, no showers after a certain hour, and something about noise and an awkward confrontation.

In your response to her you do acknowledge the issue with the dog and the sheets needing to be clean, but state that the rest is retaliation. Again, maybe it was. However, if I were a paying guest in someone's home, I would be a bit put off by having to watch their pet (which is not even identified in the listening) then having said pet urinate on my bed. If you have an animal in the home that is going to be around guest or in shared spaces it should be clearly identified in your listing, and you are responsible for making sure the dog is trained and not interrupting guest in a negative manner. A lot of people incorporate their pets into their photos and offer cute descriptions of them. It can actually be a selling point for some who love animals. 

Aside from her review it looks like everyone enjoys your space and feedback is largely positive. I know it is disheartening to see a negative review and have our rating go down, but it may just be something you have to accept, learn from, and move on.

Hello Jennifer1897, you make appropriate comments in the context where they do fit. However the room was clean, extra linen is available ( aside from duvet) which in my opinion would be an extra, the showering is the inconvenient noise disturbance that occurred. The listing is within an apartment complex with stated building expectations. We are in the upper levels of the building, due to walls being thin and noise being able to transfer quite easily, the quiet hours are implemented out of curiosity of neighbors. Guest however was well into 1:00 am still in the shower making a ton of noise. And Son our puppy is with in the description of the listing. Guest was at the moment very eager to be with the dog upon arrival before I asked for the request.  There was a lot of false information with the review that was made. This all been brought only on review, because throughout the stay I made every effort to make sure their satisfaction was met above and beyond. 

I do appreciate your honesty and perspective on the matter and sometimes it is best to just let it be. However when stated events aren’t indeed the case, I can’t just sit back and watch how things play out. I take pride in the way I go about meeting each and everyone of my guests need within reasonable limits. And all I ask is a little bit of due curiosity to respect house rules . I will have to update the listing in an even better way to make sure this doesn’t happen again.

Thank you for you time and consideration on looking at the reviews it’s means a lot that we are heard and taken into consideration 

Abraham.G

@Abraham253 @Jennifer1897 

I agree with Jennifer.  You stating your dog peed on a Guests bed,  I don't even remember what the Guest said, the fact that you think there is any logic for your pet to use my bed as a toilet is totally unacceptable,  I have 2 dogs and 1 cat .  Both my dogs one older and one younger are trained guest rooms, I have 3 are off limits.  My dogs live a very good life but have rules.  Cats can be harder not accidents more Larry likes a nap in the guest closet and makes a racket at 2 am because he wants out to use his litterbox.   We don't have the problem anymore because after the first time we learned to advise guests don't leave the door open or if you do look and kick Larry out before going to bed.