Security deposit through a second agent

Answered!
Sharon1620
Level 1
Greater Manchester, United Kingdom

Security deposit through a second agent

I have just booked an apartment and instantly received a what’s app asking for my email so they can forward information. I then receive an email which informs  me that £200 refundable deposit is required immediately and that this is being paid to another agent who will take over the booking and will no longer be communicating through Airbnb. Is this normal or am I right to be suspicious

1 Best Answer
Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

For your own safety, please don't make any payments or communication outside Airbnb.

Hope the booking is not a fraud.

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

For your own safety, please don't make any payments or communication outside Airbnb.

Hope the booking is not a fraud.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

This is a strange approach to not only  to cut out Airbnb out of the refund process,  but to establish a direct link with the guess and cutting them out altogether. Too much of a cloak & dagger operation, I would bail out of it, if you can; if not refuse to give them a deposit.

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

@Sharon1620 

Cancel this booking immediately and report the host. You probably have 48 hours to cancel without penalty. If you don’t, call Airbnb and explain what you have told us here.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Sharon1620 bail out now. Some corporate hosts can charge deposits but it should say so on the listing. Also the booking comms should stay within the Airbnb system.